Friday, October 29, 2010

A Very Good Day

Very good indeed.  Ah, such lovely pine fines; and to imagine I've driven by this place a gazillion gabillion times; right handy near the vet.  Then off to the Habitat for Humanity thrift store.  $8 for a stack of assorted wood pieces for raised bed borders. $2 for a white vinyl mini blind that is being cut into plant tags.  Much more practical and cost efficient than these Plant Labels I resorted to buying underpressure when I ran out of my supply.  I should have enough to last me a few seasons now.  



Then off to Lowes for border stakes.  I'm going to use wood stakes on the outside and metal on the inside; with the intent that each panel can be lifted out.  Another purple pot for another tomato plant, and a whoppin score at the plant triage stand.  The salvia I'll divide into 3 plants; the plat of pansy's will be row markers in the tenders bed and the remaining for fun and pollinators.  I sure appreciate that Lowe's puts their fading plants onto a discount shelf where as I guess HD just trashes theirs.

A long sweaty dirt filled day is planned under the oaks; with some luck the tenders bed will be ready to plant this week-end!  Crock pot beans for din-din.  Can't wait until we have enough of our own beans.





 And, while I'm playing in the dirt, I'm going to think some more on what I learned at Bolling yesterday.  They showed me this 'playground mulch'; more info here.  What is cool to me, is that the size and shape of the mulch is square, about match stick width.  They are designed to interlock and compress into a sturdy surface.  Soft enough to mitigate fall injuries but firm enough for a wheelchair.  Or a walker in rainy slippery weather.  And, for us it will meet the natural rustic look; and probably give us a cost effective way to expand the uncovered patio.  And, Florida friendly characteristics such as: 'The particle sizing allows TUMBLESAFE™ to interlock and form a wood mat that is resistant to wind and rain displacement.'  Oh, and best yet, Bolling has a mulch express blower service; how cool is that????

No comments: