Thursday, October 14, 2010

Seed Starts

As I understand it; edible gardening for fresh food (vs put up in storage) is in part spreading out your starts to spread out the good eats.  Consecutive Planting.  So instead of planting all my bean seeds at once, I spread them out over a 4 week period.  Or something like that.  Plus, as I read and learn, I find new plant ideas.

Seeds started this week:
Lime green salad (more)
Red Kale (more) - blue straw markers
Swiss Chard (more)
Cowpeas (more)
Carrots - Scarlet Nantes (more) - white/blue stripe straws.  Some are growing slowly in the laurel oak stump garden; these will go in the parking pad garden with beans & corn.
Baby Leaf Hybrid Spinach (more) in the ground next to the in-ground 21 day mustard greens - tangerine straw markers

Garlic Chives - take 2.  This time in a pot, not the ground.  I read someplace (thought it was on ECHO's site, but can't find it now) where they have a garlic chive plant growing in an auto tire that keeps remounding year after year.  Allrighty then, this time I planted them in a clay orchid pot and sank it it a bed of mulch and compost.

Beetberry aka Strawberry Spinach (purple straw markers)- I think I first read about this over at GetSoiled's place with one of her lovely photos; but to heck if I can find it now.  Yes, yes; broken record.
A truly unique plant also known as "Strawberry Spinach." Sprawling plants are grown primarily as a nutritious green for salads and braising while the pleasantly sweet but fairly bland berries provide a fun accent to salads. Loves cool weather but also tolerates heat.
Burdock Watanabe - a true experiment; but supposedly a very hardy plant.
Edible Burdock is often called Gobo in Japanese supermarket. Plants are cultivated mainly for the slender roots, that can grow to 4 feet long and 1 inch across. Burdock root is very crispy and has a sweet, mild pungent flavor, which is used as a delicacy in Japanese food. Burdock is a hardy biennial plant, but grow as an annual. Seed are sown in spring for havest in late summer or in fall for harvest in the next spring.
Celery - tangerine straws.  Sigh, I'm having so much trouble with celery.  I am no Duda; but as close as we are to the famous celery stalk one would think this would go better.

Tete Noir Cabbage - grown in the autumn in France

Red Orach - spinach type green; tolerates poor soil conditions and drought.  Note to self - start more in a week or so; succession planting.  Theoretically will self seed; max height about 3 '.

No comments: