Saturday, October 23, 2010

Beautyberry Jelly & Italian Ice

I picked a peck of Beautyberrys!  Ain't they purty.


I guess I picked just about the right time.  We've had several days of cool and dry weather.  Enough cool days for the berries to sweeten some and enough dry days that a few are starting to turn to raisin.


I picked 3 bushes; about a third of what's bearing fruit now.  After boiling for 20 minutes and straining out the liquid, I had 4 cups of juice.  After some fiddling around trying to not whack the bushes too much, I came to my senses and took a pair of clippers to the heavy ladened branches.  Clip off the leaves and bring the rest inside.  Hold over bowl, and the berries pop right off.  First time around, I was trying to pick the berry bunches off the branch in the yard; all the while balancing crutches, bags and scissors.  Back inside, it was tedious crazy getting all the stems out.  The wack-a-branch method had no stem issues.  Considering the jays and squirrels whack the branches and the bushes do fine year after year I think I'll do the same.

After a few hours standing and picking stems, I cooked the berries, strained the juice and stuck it in the refrig for the next day.


Tervy's Beautyberry Freezer Jelly
1.5 to 2 qts beautyberry to yield 3 cups juice
1 package No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin
3/4 cup Blue Agave Honey *
1/2 cup Organic Evaporated Cane Juice
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 pinch orange peel

Combine 2 quarts beautyberry and 2 quarts water in dutch oven and bring to boil.  Reduce heat, gentle boil for 20 minutes.

Use your method of choice to seperate juice; I used a fine mesh sieve.

Combine in saucepan, 3 cups of beautyberry juice, 1 tsp Lemon Juice and 1 pinch orange peel.
Slowly stir in the No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin.  Stir continously and virgorously until fully disolved.
Bring juice mixture to a hard boil and continue boiling for one minute.  Stir constantly.

Remove sauce pan from heat and immediately stir in 3/4 cup Blue Agave Honey and 1/2 cup Organic Evaporated Cane Juice.  Stir continuously for one minute.

Pour mixture into freezor jars; leaving 1/2" head space.  Immediately cap, allow to cool for 30 minutes.  Move to refrigerator to stand for 24 hours.  Then freeze. 

Should last 3 weeks in the refrigerator.

Yield - 2 Pint Jars

One for us, and one for my diabetic father-in-law.  Yes, there is sweetener in this; but it is far less evil than sugar or artificial sweeteners.  Compared to Strawberry Jelly, this recipe has 40% less calories.  And I don't really know how to calculate the sugar stuff for diabetics.

Note to self:  get thyself a good stevia plant cutting and get it growing in your garden.  Pure sweetness; pure win.  Not much worry for a diabetic.

The Italian Ice is an experiment.  Using the remaining 1 cup juice and the same saucepan, I added about 1 Tablespoon of Agave Honey and 1/3 cup of Evaporated Cane Juice.  Brought to a boil.  Stirred until everything was good and dissolved.  Transferred liquid to a container standing in ice water.  Let stand for 30 minutes.  Move to freezer.  Every 45 min to 60 min for the next 4 hours or so; remove from freezor and stir with gusto.  Potato Masher's work well.  Preliminary reports - YUMM.  While I think it could use a bit LESS added sweetness; I am reminded of my failed Peach Italian Ice when I used only 2 Tablespoons Evaporated Cane Juice.  The sugar crystals are needed to keep the liquid from freezing into a solid block.

Edit to add - The Finished Product

Recieved the golden seal of Hubs Taste Tested Approval.  Quite good; not too sweet; but sweet.  The actual color is a bit more lavender than this pink; but I was anxious to eat it.

Might just need to go pick the rest of the beautyberry's and make more.

* Not really honey.  It is really syrup, and debatedly not any better for you than sugar or any other HFCS.  Doesn't change the fact that I prefer to avoid white sugar.  Perhaps just stick with evaporated cane juice?   

No comments: