The babies in pots continue to do pretty good. The spot at the back end of the driveway seems to be working well; morning/east sun; dappled high day; and afternoon shade. Truth to tell, I'm happier with the seedling progress in the paper cups than the peat cups; so most likely will continue to use paper for small seedlings.
The 21 day mustard greens (Mizuna Mustard) are going gangbusters. So, this is day 10? Two more theoretical weeks and yumms are us. Note! Garlic Chives are Sprouting!!!
Oh, and picture's not included, but all the Florida Broadleaf Spinach is sprouting. Germination was on the slow side; but they all seem hardy and thriving. Moved some out today into the parking pad garden.
Baby leaf hybrid spinach? Attacked in the night. Something seems to have uprooted them and eaten the middles and left the evidence on top the bedding soil. Sigh ...
All the growing slowly babies in the recycled cell pack (gee those things have a name) all have been planted out into the NE salad bar garden. A few that sprouted profusely in one cell where teased apart and planted separately. Lessons learned: Baby seedlings do not like organic veggie mix potting soil. Way to heavy soil. Germination and growth was slow. Best luck thus far has been mixing equal parts: Peat Moss, Vermiculite, Jungle Growth Veggie Potting Soil. Hmm, why did I not find this very informative article before I attempted to start my own seedlings?
The squirrels have been caught red handed digging holes in the midst of my front garden beds. Dastardly fuzzy critters. I am experimenting with spreading dog hair around the in ground gardens to see if that helps to deter the baby seedling damage. Or, I guess I could just order and plant more seeds? Wonder what hubs would say ...
Moved some lettuce starts out to the NE garden today, and started another salad bar pot. Will start more seeds in the now empty incubators.
No comments:
Post a Comment