Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Campari Tomato

The Tomato Lovers Tomato

They are the yummzers.  Pricey; but oh so very good.  I hunted around for seeds to order; no go.  But .... I did find some indication that they will grow true from seed from store bought tomatoes.  From someplace around the super highway, I found instructions to sit aside the seeds with some pulp and let them ferment.  I sat mine in a plastic lid in the kitchen for several weeks.  Being not so impressed with the first bagged potting soil I used in August; I purchased specific seed starter potting soil.  Fixed myself up a tray full of paper cups (hole punched in bottom) filled with seed starter soil; itsy bitsy tomato seeds just tamped in.  Placed my tray out in the fall baby zone (part day sun; easy water access); a week or so later they sprouted and are now growing like mad.

I planted the first baby starter out today, in a black plastic azalea pot with some lettuce to keep it company.  I mixed up my own potting medium using two parts compost mulch, one part perlite, 2 parts peat, and balance Jungle Growth Potting Mix.  My germination rate was much better than I expected (100% of the paper cups have baby plants).  My plan was to container raise these near the spring time cherry tomato's.  I've got way more baby's than I planned for; so guess I'll noodle over where to put the others.

No comments: