Monday, October 18, 2010

How Grows the Garden

Sigh.  The predator strikes again.  Same plant as last time; just a different pot and location.  It is in the ground now.  If it gets molested again I'll put some moth balls around it.

The nursery, the oldest toddlers to the left are about ready to be planted out in the garden.  I really should have started more seedlings much earlier.  Oh well, now we know.


Our first eggplant, this is one very happy plant.  And, this evening; our very first (out of focus) eggplant baby.  All together now; ahhhhhhhh; how cute.



We've been enjoying picking our greens from the garden for our sandwiches.  I obviously should have started with more greens.  This weekend I made myself a yummy sandwich; Publix 5 grain Italian bread; muenster cheese, slice tomato; ...
two baby cabbage leaves

half dozen or so culantro sprigs

some arugula sprigs; and some spicy basil.  Oh my, my; the yumms.  But, I didn't plant enough babies, and we are about to eat out the adolescents.  Eating fresh from the plant is just taste bud wow.  Enough to encourage me to get out there and build some more garden space; start more seeds.  Heck, even buy some more seedlings to plant.

Smilax bona-nax
I suppose if I really wanted fresh, fresh greens; I might be tempted to harvest some of the catbrier that tries to take over the place around here.  This came from the patch I'm working on removing to extend the NE garden.  I ate one of the new leaves today; it was OK.  Better than wilted store bought lettuce.  I haven't cooked up the tuber yet.

The NE salad bar garden.  It's coming along nicely.  Just should have started with more seedlings.

We've been enjoying or evening spritzer with our very own calamondins.  Squeeze a calamondin into a glass.  Add a shot of unfiltered apple cider vinegar.  Top off with soda water.  Yumm.

I looked up when to tell if your cucumber is ready to pick.  Deemed it ready.  Hubs and I picked it; brought it in the house, it had a worm hole.  Now I know whats been going on with my vine, and why the new growth is dieing.  Sigh.  Guess I need to start wearing my glasses for my morning garden inspection.  So I can like, see bad stuff?  We ate the cucumber anyway.  It was declared the best cucumber ever.  OMG so much flavor.

Fresh off the vine cucumber salad
Combine in a bowl and let marinate at room temperature for about 30 minutes:
Cucumber(s) sliced thinly (cut out any worm tunnel sections)
Several sprigs of cilantro
Dash of rice vinegar
Pinch of salt



Work continues in the back parking pad garden.  Rosie has taken quite the interest in the baby plants.  She runs right over there to check on each of the new babies.  We need to get the fence up.  Hubs decided that posts in pots would be more flexible than posts in the ground.  He rigged this up to stabilize the posts while the kikcrete set.  Plus, when they are in place, I'll be able to plant herbs or flowers in the top half of the pots; and hopefully Cannon can not hike his leg that high.

No comments: