I bought from Publix Organics a package of finger potatoes from a Florida grower and a package of Honey Gold bite size potatoes from Tasteful Selections. The fingerlings I cut into slips; the Honey Gold I left whole, put the whole bunch on the window shelf in my office and waited for them to sprout.
Then, I took a large black plastic yard bag; mixed up some potting soil; rolled the top down and settled things about until I had about a 4" layer of potting soil. Placed my slips oh so carefully! Oh, then I decided it needed to be covered to protect from the dastardly demon squirrel invasion.
Once the potatoes sprouts are about 4" tall, I'll start adding potting soil. And keep adding as they grow; unrolling the trash bag as I add soil. Oh, and don't forget to punch some holes for water drainage.
I raided my crafting supplies, and the slips are temporarily protected. Pricey protection. Can you believe HD had no vinyl hardware cloth/chicken wire?
Guess I'll have to make a trip to Lowe's :D Maybe they will have seed potatoes; as HD certainly did not.
No comments:
Post a Comment