Saturday, November 27, 2010

Garden Cart

My multi-purpose cart.  I bought this when we lived in California and used it at dog shows.  Virtually all the dog shows and trials in CA are outdoors; with outdoor rough terrain.  This worked great for loading up a crate, cooler, chair and gear bag and heading off for a good spot to wait out the action.

When we moved back to Florida; most the dog shows are inside with tight quarters and I didn't use it much.

Then, it got re-engineered by hubs and FIL to be a wheelchair trailer and it works most awesome for that.  There is a tongue attached to the cart handle that clips on the back of my wheelchair.  I can sit on the floorboard of the van, load up the cart, hook it to my chair, then roll myself off inside.  It let me be independently mobile going to flyball tournaments.  Provided I have a paved or otherwise semi-solid ground to roll over.  And, Rosie has learned how to help pull the cart (using a harness of course).

Now my multi-use cart is serving admirable use in the garden.  Back to its roots!  We've got my wheelchair cushion sitting on the back that I use as a stool to sit on.  The sides of the cart provide me just enough support to get myself up and down.  I can carry a garden tool caddy and a harvest bucket easily.  Next up, I need to pick up some heavy duty metal mesh to line the bottom so that I can carry around seedlings and other such stuff.

It's working our really well.  I can easily pull it around the yard, and when I get to a spot that needs work; I can sit myself down on my improvised stool; have my stuff in handy reach and either prop my crutch up on the handle or lay it on the trough created by the clamps.

No comments: