Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Garlic, The Garlic!

She grows gang busters!  And I finally made it back to get more pine fines so I can plant the 5th bag.

But!  Wait!  There's More!

Beginning of October I had a garlic clove sprout in the fruit bowl.  Upon close examination; one had sprouted and one was ready to sprout.  Knowing nothing about garlic; I planted them both in the front garden.  The green sprouts curled up and died in the October heat and I assumed them goners.

The main one is growing!  I spotted it the other day, and it continues to grow.

Good News Everyone!

This came from organics at Publix, had a purple skin and I think must be a Truban.  Note!  Different harvesting instructions:

"Asiatics and Turban garlics have as many similarities as differences. Asiatics have 8-12 fat cloves, Turbans have about 6 really big cloves.
Asiatics have a few pea-size purple bulbils whereas Turbans have 30 to 100 pinkish rice-size bulbils. They are the very earliest harvesting of all garlics and if you can grow them you'll have garlic before anyone else is anywhere near ready to harvest. They are short storing garlics as most don't last more than 5 months at room temperature before sprouting. They are always the first garlics to sprout in the fall. They are also unusual in that they don't mature gradually like all the other garlics; when they are ready, their tops start to fall over, like onions. That's too late. The time to check their bulb size and get ready to start harvesting them is in mid-spring before their leaves fall over and they lose all their bulb wrappers, as they will if they stay in the ground for very long after they are ready to be harvested. If they lose their bulb wrappers, their storage time will be reduced even more than usual. The secret to success in growing great Asiatic and Turban is to dig down and watch the bulbs develop and when they get big enough to suit you, go ahead and dig them up, don't wait for them to fall over. You simply have to harvest them before they fall over. They do seem to grow exceptionally well in dry climates like the southwestern USA, if properly irrigated."

No comments: