Sunday, November 21, 2010

Status Report



The garden she grows, and she feeds us.  And the neighbor there in the background is envious of our eggplants.  We have 4 growing right now.
The garlic is growing, and salad bar row is going gang busters.  I broadcast lettuce and greens seeds 10 days or so back and they are all coming along very nicely.  Today I finished planting all to the vidalia onion sets; they are mostly all in the NE garden; though some are in front of the tomato to be fencing.
I have learned what cut and come again lettuce means.  This here is a buttercrunch lettuce, in the upper right is one that was not yet harvested, lower left one I harvested last week.    Where I cut the stalk; it has branched and is forming a new stalk of lettuce.  Coolness.  Leaf lettuce, like the Red Sails; you just cut leaves from the bottom as you want it.

These are all greens I started from seed in starter cups and you can just see the babies popping up from the broadcast seed.  We finally have enough growing that I can thin by cutting to eat with our salads.

No pictures today, but the parking pad garden is also coming along gang busters.  I thinned some in there for salad this week and the sugar snap peas are up enough to need to get a trellis in place.  Oh, and the Green Lance Hybrid have sprouted.

The misomu and totsai asian greens that started in seed cups have been planted in pots; some of the seed cups of started raab broccoli were planted out in the NE garden today.  I also purchased and planted more starter trays of pakman broccoli, collard greens, and basil.  Oh, and a pretty yellow cassia out by the lamp post.

The cool weather greens are finally starting to pop.  The kale, chard and spinach are all looking like maybe I know what I'm doing.  Maybe.  Sort of.  Or not.  Plant more!  Fertilize more!

Seeds started this week:
More arugula
Peas - Wando
Vidalia Onion Sets
Potato Slips
Garlic
Sweet Banana Peppers - yup I'm crazy
Bloomsdale longstanding Spinach
Culantro

Update!
Target dollar bins had some shallow round metal bins; they are now planted with Burpee Mesclun Salad Mix.  Will move out to the NE garden between the garlic pots in the next few days.

No comments: