Sunday, November 14, 2010

NE Garden Progress

The NE Garden expansion is almost complete.  The back side extension is done and ready.  This nearest section is ready for planting while the far section needs time and stuff added to make good garden soil.  Come spring time; it should be good and ready for Eggplants and Okra.


The west side is about as done as she's going to get this winter.  Continue amending the soil and wait out the black plastic to kill all the things under the section where the garlic pots are.


The front side is still a work in progress.  Next up is digging out the sprinkler head and moving it about 18" or so away from the street.  Kind of silly to water the mail box and the light pole.

 And speaking of garlic; they are sure taking off and growing gangbusters.    All the pots are going good; the green pot has been the slowest to start and has the least growing.  I still haven't potted out the last bag; I ran out of potting mix.

Today as I was broadcasting cow manure I spied something odd in the garden.  Upon closer investigation, it turned out to be the garlic clove that I stuck in the ground when it sprouted in the kitchen.  Surprise, surprise.  I did like everything wrong when I planted it too deep in the heat of mid September.  Low and behold it has a 4" scape that was growing under the mulch chips.

I've been spending some time in the evenings planning out the planting plan for Spring 2011 in the NE Garden.  Lessons learned from this fall planting are:  start more seeds sooner and plant more.


NE Garden Spring 2011 Plan

No comments: