Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Week-end End-cap

 Hard at work!  Yesterday I finished digging out weeds and digging out the trench along the driveway.  Then headed off to the HD and picked up peat moss; garden mix, plastic edging, onion bulbs, a pack of yellow viola's (need more) then over to the wine store for cardboard.  Between the cardboard, my stash of magazines and the neighbor's stash of newspapers I had just enough.
 All cleaned up and ready for company. Of course it is not finished!  Is it ever?  I need some more yellow viola's to finish the strip.  As well something to go between the bulbine. 

From the driveway heading right; I dug out a trench 6" wide and however close to 5" deep I could get along the entire length.  The trench is filled with large pine bark and mulch.  The far edge is planted with bulbine (one pot divided perfectly).  The next section is edged with plastic and will house garlic, onions and chives.

I moved the Red Toch garlic from the back pot at the left of the shed door; it was staying to wet.  Also brought a bucketful of that potting mix out to spread on top the garden soil and peat for some extra ferti-lizards.
There will be a lot of settling; so I'll be tweaking it a bit as time goes by.  I used the plastic edging to make half round tiers.  Each tier will be a different color veggie.  Eventually.

Right now, I have some Dwarf Gray Sugar Peas planted in the highest, widest section - to help fix nitrogen; as well as to be pretty and edible.

The next tier out is the purple tier; right now a dozen seedling violetta pac choi are planted along with johnny jump up viola seed scattered. 

The far edge; along the path will be the red tier.  Perhaps next week-end I can get some red sails lettuce planted.  Oh, and I ran out of mulch.  Go figure.  Must get more and get everything mulched; and lime; need more lime.

The second light fixture for seed starts is still in the box; more work needed to get the mechanics working correctly.    So, the single fixture is hung; too high; but at least some light; and youngest uncovered babies brought inside.  It is suppose to rain heavy tomorrow.  Will be good.

Oh, and check out this most interesting article on make it yourself watering container pots; and veggie gardening on the roof in Chicago.  Neat.

No comments: