Sunday, January 9, 2011

& more seeds started

3 x Florida Market Eggplant
3 x Black from Tula Tomato
3 x Hybrid Violet Prince Eggplant
1 x Orlando Eggplant

All of these where started in 4" black nursery pots on top the hot water heater.

8 x saved seed from Florida mini sweet peppers - I suspect these are a hybrid so who knows what I get; but this is more a learning experience.  These seeds started germination on Jan 3 on a coffee filter inside a ziploc baggie atop the hot water heater.

When I moved them out they were just getting good size tails; still firmly attached to the seed.  I found that moving the seedlings around was easiest with a pair of smooth crafters needle nose pliers.  Gingerly moved each out to a previously prepared and well watered peat growing pot.  Good and moist but not dripping.

I spotted this old Tupperware bread box at the thrift store and thought it was just the size for the peat cell trays.  It is.

After the seeds were all in place, I spritzed with a spray bottle; then sprinkled fine vermiculite on top and spritzed again.  Sealed it up with the lid on top and moved it out to the top of the electrical box.

Along the way, I developed a curiosity itch regarding soil temperatures.  So, I detoured by way of the kitchen; refilled the java and grabbed a stick thermometer.

Temperatures in a black 4" nursery pot that has been atop the electrical box for 24+ hours is 80.  Black 1 gallon pot on the ground hugging the east side of the box; 80.  Small clear plastic container hugging the south side; 70.

In the sunlight, midway point of the NE Salad bar; 70.  Inside the mini-greenhouse in a plastic bin - 60; under the lights in the garage, 60.  On top the hot water heater; 70.  Hmm, sunlight is a powerful heater.

Further experimentation in progress.  Atop the electrical box, includes a red kale - an identical is inside the garage under the lights.  I've also moved out 6 or so of the Beira Kale to hug the southside of the box at ground level.  And, when the 10 4" black pots I started today germinate; I'll move them out to the top of the electrical box.  If we have a freeze forecast; I'll just move everything to ground level and cover them with frost cloth.

Take a close look at that fancy coleus cutting center.  I started two cuttings (should have started more) as a just in case.  Good thing to; the mother plant froze.  Look at the babies coming up around the cutting.  This was in the ground during the last freeze.  So, the nighttime soil temps are going to be higher near the electrical box. 

Duh, well of course.  But also, higher as compared to inside the garage.  Or, inside my mini-greenhouse in a plastic bin.  The water in the bottom and the black bottom is insufficient to keep it warm.  Guessing it needs more light.  Or maybe, in the compost pile?  Mostly more sunlight I'm sure.

Hubs and I went out for dinner with my brother who is in town for a business meeting.  First time we've been out for dinner in many, many months.  I'm going to need to eat greens all week to make up for fried food overload.  But it was oh.so.very.good.  Have to call and make an appointment with the ear doctor, the nasties have turned into a raging ear ache.

Rain in the forecast for late tomorrow; get to mow down some more green matter for the compost bin early in the day; before the rain.  Note to self:  cotton ball in ear.

Suppose to start another 36 seedlings this coming week.  Must think on how to execute for success.

No comments: