Thursday, January 20, 2011

China Roses and Hot Herbs

Green Rose

Mutabalis Butterfly Rose

<- photo of the Green Rose; which doesn't look much like a rose.  In fact, it is sterile; no petals.  The bloom consists only of sepals.  The leafs and the blooms both can have hints of red or pink.  I read that it is thought that the Green Rose could be a sport of  'Old Blush'.  At any rate; it is propagated by cuttings only, and stories about how it has been passed around families are very interesting.

Hot Herbs!  Herbs that keep on going when the summers get hot, humid and wet.  Okinawa Spinach, Cuban Oregano, False Roselle, Epazote.

Seminole Springs Antique Rose & Herb Farm

Really neato-coolio place.  Knowledgeable, helpful, and super friendly.  A family business; husband and wife team; Keith was on deck when we arrived.

I had seen a photo of a huge rambling beautiful old-fashioned rose called Louis Phillipe, the cracker rose.  And a reference that it could be ordered from this place; which happens to be in Eustis and not far from here.  So off MIL and I went adventuring.  It really was fun; so glad we could go.

They didn't have the LP in stock; and as I explained; I'm not really a rose person; I just want the form factor.  It seemed to me that it would make an awesome backdrop for the NE garden and be a very pretty visual screening for the wilderness beyond.  Keith described and showed us a picture of the Mutabalis and we were sold.  I told MIL I would start a cutting for her when the plant gets a bit bigger.

Then he showed us the picture of the Green Rose; umm .... did somebody whisper into his ear how much I like lime green and yellow in the garden?  It had to come home.  I had a few options on where to put it; but I think I have decided it will be the focal point of the NE garden; very near to where the green/yellow croton was (the one that may or may not be frozen).  The Green Rose is a bush form; fairly small; 3' or so, whereas the Mutabalis is a sprawling monstrosity.  I think they will both make nice accent features for the front garden.

And, the vestiges of the ancient beyond it's years bush will become history sometime this summer.  Right now I am thinking a green/yellow croton on the backside of the root mass (and protected in cold weather by the electrical box) and on the frontside of the root mass a Florida Market Eggplant, again warmed by the electrical box.

I'm looking forward to visiting again at the Rose and Herb Farm - late spring; after they've had a chance to recoup from the winter freezes.  Herb, flowers; roses, good folks; along with Nigerian goats, Anatolian shepherds, and a lovely Australian Cattle Dog.

***********

Got home, changed clothes; and off to the garden to plant up some seedlings and new herbs.  It is forecast to rain tomorrow followed by a cold front with low's in the 30's.  Hoping this is the last cold blast of the year, so planning next week to put out the cell tray seedlings.

I was setting at the end of the drive on the garden cart; taking a short break and contemplating where to plant the roses.  A neighbor with a bloodhound comes up and introduces herself and tells me she's been wanting to tell me how nice and beautiful our garden is.   Of course I thanked her, then asked if she realized they were veggies?  Oh yes, they have a garden plot out in their 'back field'.  How about that?  A gardening neighbor!

No comments: