Saturday, January 15, 2011

All in a Days Work ....

.... actually 2 days ....

So, we had another freeze forecast; out goes the covers for the plants; two days later uncovered and everything looks OK.

Yesterday, went adventuring.  Finally made it to the county electronics waste disposal; what a PITA.  Unmarked, unmanned.  After struggling with a ten-ton dead computer I finally got smart; who cares if I drop it; it is DEAD afterall.  I wonder how much compliance Seminole County has with this program?

Then off to Walmart; I abhor shopping at Walmart.  I went early, on a Thursday; and I still cursed the masses.  Hopefully I have stocked up on the stuff that is super worth buying at Walmart so that I can not go back for at least a month.  I did manage to score a 32 gallon white storage container that will be growing cucumbers - under the oaks - hopefully extending the season more into the heat of summer.  Also picked up 2 packs of bare root strawberries and 1 pack of yukon gold potato.  And an odd assortment of .20c seed packages.

Then, off to Lowes.  What a difference in customer service.  I "walked" into the commercial end; down by lumber, and hunted down somebody to help me.  He promptly grabbed another helper.  It was fabulous.  Brought home already cut pieces of  treated lumber for the sunny side garden beds.  Nice ....

Guess the layout is not all that obvious; but all in all, quite a lot accomplished.  I used my 4' spade to match up the curves along the grassy path.  I think it looks kinda nice.  From the the path side, I'll plant an 8" or 10" section of red salad makings; Red Sails Lettuce in cool weather and Red Leaf Amaranth during warm weather.

For the next two seasons; while the grass and weeds are being composted; I'll plant Dwarf Gray Sugar Peas for early spring (~65 to harvest); with all parts of the plant being edible; followed by a sweet potato during the summer; again all parts of the plant are edible.

Come fall, I'll implement the waves of color planting; I'm going for the mass plantings of like edibles into bands of interesting colors and/or textures.  Like my inspiration.

 Towards the driveway will be three bands; parallel to the drive.  Working from the driveway, (1) about 4" x 4" mulch followed by (2) 6" perennial flowers (bulbine, daylilly and ??) followed by (3) 12" of root veggies (onion, garlic, chives) with a some purty annual flowers mixed in for fun.

Can't really see it well from this view; but there is a pathway up the middle, which will have pepper plants growing in pots at the entry to the path.  The pots will form a bit of a curb in the event of driver failure navigating the curve in the driveway; as well to provide a focal point for the garden edge.  I've ordered Chinese Five Color Peppers from Baker Creek; they look to fit the spec most nicely.

Beyond the path is a 4.5 x 4.5 rectangle that currently will play host to pulled weeds and dug out soil.  I'll keep layering it up; along with clippings from the yard and compost from the bin.  Maybe I'll grow some peanuts in it the summer.  The black peanuts from Sandhill sound fun.

I picked up another florescent fixture for the garage; sadly ... more construction is required before it can be successfully implemented.  In the mean time; I have moved all the winter greens out to the hot box for a grow boost.

Tomorrow I'll head off to the HD to pick up PVC parts; peat moss and black kow; and bring home Papa Murphy's Pizza for our Saturday Pizza ritual.

And, the W.B. Geek part of us?  We pre-ordered Rift today.  Fun!!!!

No comments: