We had rain yesterday! I didn't quite finish up the front mowing before it started with the fireworks. It drizzled and rained all afternoon. Just the right kind of wet for a good soak; except it wasn't even half an inch.
Also started some more seeds. These I started in soil blocks. The first 2 trays I used a half-round scoop to form the balls then tapped them out into my hand. The last 2 are much larger, I embraced my inner child and made mud balls. Fun. The seeds are tucked into the top of each. The idea being the seeds will germinate, sprout but the roots will not grow beyond the soil. It makes transplanting or upsizing the growing container easier and less stress on the plant.
I wrapped each of the aluminum trays with saran wrap and put them on top the freezer. The 2 big blocks; are placed in the "lid" side of a plastic produce clamshell. Upside down, it provides a nice roof and growing area for the plants before they out grow it.
Today I started 12 Jubilee Yellow Toms; 12 Hybrid Tropic Boy Toms; and the 2 Black from Tula. The last two, in the plastic clamshell, are a top the electrical box. I plan to compare their growth with the set I have germinating on top the hot water heater.
Oh, and yesterday I pulled the plastic potato pot out of the top of the compost bin and it was noticeably warm on the bottom. So, the compost bin is also a bottom heater candidate I think.
Overcast days are the best for long shots of our place. This is sort of interesting; I'm right beside the mail box. You can just see the veggie garden on the right and you can see the extension I'm working on.
I called Chestnut Hill Tree Farm yesterday and ordered our Christmas present to ourselves - a low chill peach tree. I had a hard time deciding between Florida Prince and Tropic Beauty. Tropic Beauty got the vote. It will be a week or so before it ships.
It is forecast to be close to freezing tomorrow night, need to decide if I'll cover things. Most likely the eggplant, it continues to amaze; actually has a bloom on it right now. I thumped it good yesterday; hopefully it will pollinate.
I'll set the stuff on top the electrical box on the ground hugging the sides, or bring into the garage. Probably will spread the frost cloth over this whole garden, it is fairly exposed.
I took all the cups out of the bin today and dumped the water; it was just not evaporating. Then decided to roll them out to get some sunshine. The spot at the end of the drive is in too much shade right now; need to find a better spot for them. And they will come into the garage tomorrow night.
Worm enriched garden soil started. A layer of weed clods, a layer of telephone book pages and lawn mower bag dumpings from finishing the yard today. Oh, and I ran the lawn mower over the previously cleared section of the wilderness so I could have some mulched pine needles to add to the concoction. Need more cardboard.
No comments:
Post a Comment