Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sword Bean

Canavalia gladiata

This is a tropical plant, with a long growing season needing heat and humidity.  But will grow in sun/shade/poor soil.  A fellow Florida Gardenwebber started her's with her pole beans last year and it was very slow to start.   

I  started this last week.  As reported, it germinated easily.  I'll plant it to grow up the dogwood tree trunk (morning sun/dappled).  Only the new growth (tips, leaves and green seed pods) are edible.  Mature pods, once they start swelling are toxic and require much boiling and changing of water for something that mature is not all that tasty.  I'm growing it to augment summer salads.


I purchased seed from Kitazawa and received 5 seeds in the package.  Green seed pod production should begin in 3-4 months and it could take 5-10 months to get mature seed pods for seed saving. 

And, yes - that seed is Humongous!   The original Jack in the Beanstalk seed maybe?

It should grow better in the sun, so I'll start another plant in a month or so - to plant out in the back in more sun.


Only a day late!  Joining Dave and Friends for Seed Sowing Saturday!

Last Saturday, hubs and I were on vacation, though I did do many days late Seedy Saturday.   And yesterday, I rushed around and planted seeds in the outside ground!  Well, not too much rushing because I was kinda tuckered after a day at the Epcot Flower & Garden Festival.

No comments: