A lot of tomatoes have been planted, and still more I need to get in. Some that will be going in partial shade I want to grow up some more first. Oh, and I ran out of potting soil and pine fines ... again. Go figure.
I re-potted the 'thinings' each time I potted up, and all the thinings carried on. I was running out of places to put them, so I decided to experiment. Some are quite happy growing in this well drained hanger - so let this be a lesson to me. Actually, I'm in the process of elevating all my planters. I think that is what helped do in the cucumber - that as well - just because plants are wilting at mid-day does not mean they need to be watered.
So, my - because I can and lets see what will happen experiment - is interesting - and growing fairly fast.
And, the Epiphyte is getting ready to bloom.
I had wanted to get all the cherry tomatoes planted along the garden fencing you see here in the background - but alas - the clock moved too fast. They'll just wait a few days.
Parents-in-law have some kind of get me in free pass to Epcott, so tomorrow I'm joining them to see the Flower and Garden show. I've asked them to schedule the backlot see the seeds tour; I've never done it and it should be lots of fun. Pulled out the wheelchair; dusted it off and aired up the tires. Ready to roll ....
I worked on getting the salad bar ready for summer crops. Pulled out a bunch of baby greens and made a salad for dinner. Transplanted some radish into a cooler spot - yes this is an experiment. Who knows what will happen. Lots of green on top but undeveloped roots. Must thin root veggies sooner. Remember that self.
Doesn't look all that much like a veggie garden from the street edge. Until you get up closer.
The two new beds I added along the driveway are completed, they just need to finish composting in place. I've a few things planted in them, just so they will not look so bare. I plan to plant sweet potatoes in them in late May.
Today - I layed a row of dill and bought 3 packages of flat parsley to make an pretty and edible border along the inside curve. I think that will sit it off nicely.
I've planted a few of the eggplants in salad bar row, as well 2 of the 5 color hot peppers. The hot peppers are multi-purpose plantings - good eats, good looks and hopefully a good squirrel deterrent.
I implemented the purple basil for color interest planting - planted every 30" or so along the front section of the salad bar. Also, seeded krausa parsley from Fedco that is suppose to stand heat better along the straight section. So that border also is taken care of.
Haven't decided yet what to do for the front section from the garden heater to the street. This time of the year, and for all summer and most of fall; it is full sun. Already it is too hot for greens. I'll be harvesting the cabbage soon and making kimchi.
This is one of the potato or multiplier onions I planted. I planted all around the place to see what spot did best. Hands down, right here in full sun heatsville.
Next fall, garlic and multiplier onions? Right here along the section from the heater to the mailbox. Perfect. Now, for this spring and summer what to plant along the border? Maybe thyme - somebody recommended lime thyme for Florida.
Soon, I'll be harvesting all the cabbage, which is going to leave some bare spots. I had planned to have marigold seedlings ready to go in place - with the hopes they would soon be blooming - but they are not yet big enough. Need to start them earlier next year. Sunflower time? More salvia?
I'm not so sure that our garlic is doing that well. I dug up and moved the volunteer from the grocer today. It is forming a nice size singular globe. Oh, well - it is all learning. The potatoes in a bag look totally happy. We are resisting the urge to dig one up and see what is happening in there. From the top view they are sure happy campers.
I'm trying an experiment with tomatoes going into pots. I'm filling the pot about half full, then planting the seedling deep. Removing the bottom two sets of leaves and planting up to the next set deep. Then as it grows taller, I'll remove leaves and add potting soil. I'm thinking this might be a great for hardier tomatoes. In the mean time; all the tomatoes I overwintered are in fruit. Oh, boy - we can't wait.
Cherry tomato zone. Some already in and more ready to go in. A wide variety of cherry tomato will be planted in ground on this side of the garden fence. Sweet 100, WOW!, Yellow, Black and Egg Yolk. On the other side I'll plant a few tomatoes in the pots I'm painting. Parts of the other side are the neighbors property so I don't want to encroach too much.
The raised tomato bed in the back is coming along. The tom's are happy. I need to get time to get back there and do some more work; after I restock the pine fines.
Hmmm, how big should I let it get?
I can not believe I did not get a photo of the sweet basil experiment. This one was a winner - must repeat next year. So, early in the start seeds in the garage season I started some sweet basil. It all germinated and grew nicely. Then one day I found a black two gallon bucket in the dollar bins at Target. Drilled some holes in the bottom; filled it with 5-1-1 mix and planted some of the babies. Figured I would bring it in for freezing weather. Which I did. Then when it was not freezing, but not really warm enough for basil; I set it out beside the garden heater aka electrical box with a microwave splash guard over it to act as a self contained mini green house. That basil is so darn happy I harvested some for our salad tonight. It is huge.
Remember me back in October? OMG I can't grow celery what the heck is wrong with me? Hah - I should have continued trying to start seeds. Once they took, and I exercised some patience, they grow - and taste pretty good.
It is the season of many oak leaves falling - more than fall. The beds are full of them. Did you notice??? This year I paid closer attention to which trees are laurel oaks. I'm thinking we might have a real bonafide studied arborist come in and advise us on a few of them. I did confirm that one of the juvenile (about 6" diameter trunk) is a laurel. It is in the back of my front garden. It is coming out. It is on its way.
View from the backside looking towards the street. It still doesn't look all that much like a veggie garden. To the left you can see the little bitty tree we are taking out. Actually, I'm going to leave the trunk about 5' or so and grow something climbing on it. Beans probably.
While I was in the back section working on potting up some tomatoes, a neighbor stopped and hollered at me. 'Hello! I just wanted to tell you how lovely your garden is! And how good it looks with the flowers mixed in with the garden.' So I went out and chatted. She had just recently started walking up this end, and she said she wondered about all the 'bulbs' I had planted so walked up to see what they might be. Not too many bulbs are planted in Florida. To her surprise, they are onions. So she looked around and started seeing the edibles. Then she brought her husband up and showed him. As she tells the story, he says something to the effect we can't go intruding on this ladies garden - and she says she told him - anybody who has created such a work has got to be proud of it. And yes, she is right; I am proud of how the winter garden worked out.
Now, I have to figure out how to keep it looking nice during the summer. Yikes! I'm sure the OGR roses will help out! Isn't she pretty?
This is a Mutablis.
She looks out towards the street. Keeping a watch on the edibles.
No comments:
Post a Comment