Saturday, March 5, 2011

Imp does Epcott Flower & Garden Festival

Thanks Mom & Dad!  I had a ton of fun.  And, there is one more day on the pass so I'll be going back one day March 14-17 to see Gayla Trail.  Woot!

Many pictures and ideas inbound!  Handle it!





















I used my wheelchair, and wasn't a bit self-conscious.  Even when I insisted that I was not leaving my chair outside when we went to eat.  For future reference, when they ask 'are you transferring to eat?' answer NO.  It is a trick question - what it really means is "Will you please leave your very expensive manual sports chair outside so that we don't have to make our indoor sit down restaurant wheelchair compatible.  And no, we will not be responsible for the security of your chair."  I haven't been to Epcott in over 4 years, and was pretty drugged up on that last short (a few hours) trip.  There were a lot of people in my demographic stratus using manual wheelchairs - pushed by a party member.  I didn't see anybody else self propelling a manual chair.  I did see a handful of walker users; generally elderly.  I had thought about taking my walker, but decided against; was concerned about that much pavement pounding affecting my already bone on bone knee.  After being there for 8 hours, the wheelchair by far was the smartest move.  Else I'm sure I would have experienced a lot of falls from all the kids and people not looking at who they are running or bumping into.  And  it rained, and I don't do slippery.  Then it got blowing hard windy.  I really, really don't do windy and slippery.  I've fallen down and gone boom too many times and embarrassed myself horribly at doorways to grocery stores saying 'no I really don't need an ambulance, I just can't get up by myself'.

I sprinkled lots of seed OUTSIDE today.  Nirvana, the first real load of in ground seeding.  Rained yesterday, overcast today and forecast rain tomorrow.  Perfect timing.

In the back veggie patch, one side Lettuce Basil, the other side Hybrid Tropical Wonder Cabbage and the border on both sides Hybrid Radish Daikon Summer Cross 3 F1.  Out front, under the beauty berry and Mr Lincoln Rose - Komatsuna Hybrid Senposai.  Strawberry Spinach under the trees at the south end of the rose arbor.  Culantro seed.  Flat Parsley on the inside edge of the salad bar.  If all the arugula goes to seed we should be rolling in baby arugula in a few months.  Cheers!

I picked up a few interesting ideas that I'll be implementing shortly.  One for extending the fresh garden salad season and the other for immediate interesting visuals at edible garden season change time.  Upcoming post topics!

No comments: