Saturday, March 5, 2011

How Grows the Garden

Nearing the end of the winter garden; thought I should catch a few more views.

Why does blogger turn my photos around?  Whatever, we are harvesting a few strawberries at a time.  More tomorrow!

 Cabbage - from cell packs.  We've been eating a lot as we go; but will have about 6 heads to harvest.  This head is about 12"x12".
 Red Russian Kale - isn't very red!  But a pretty purple and greyish/green.  Planted very early in the fall season - early Nov.  Took off once it got chilly in Dec/Jan.  This gal is pretty big; about 24" in diameter and a good 12 - 18" tall.
 The banana pups are putting out new leaves!  Next week-end - out with the remaining bits of the phil.
 The collard patch.  Not the only one, but certainly the happiest one.  Funny thing is, I stuck these here because I was out of places when I bought a cell pack.  These are southern collards.  Next year I want to try Morris Heading also.  I have a bunch of Florida Variegated Collards growing up in cell packs.  They are suppose to be perennial in Florida.  Some of them will go in this spot.

This is the basil mentioned in a previous post.  Started around Jan in the garage.  Moved to the bucket in late Feb.  Moved out to the garden heater with a  microwave splash cover.  Fit perfectly, was vented.  Made a perfect mini-greenhouse.  We had basil in our salad the other night.
 Our salad bar. 
 First bean of the year!  Off a vine that froze back at some point but the roots must have overwintered.  I didn't pull it because, I wanted to see what would happen.  Learn a bit.  I'll probably leave it and see how it continues to do.  More learning.
As our garden grows.

No comments: