Saturday, March 12, 2011

Shady Characters

I've a spot that is pretty much no full sun; dappled sun most of the day.  As I've been planting out in the full sun spot, I've stuck things in over here to see how they do.  As well, hoping to extend the salad greens season with the stuff growing over here.  I have planted mostly; well - all - leaf veggies.  Collards, Broccoli, Rapini Broccoli Raab, Onion, Parsley, Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce, a few Kale varieties, India Spinach Beet and Okinawa Spinach.    Oh, and mizuna mustard and Florida Broadleaf mustard.  And cabbage.  And some asian leaf veggies.

You can't really see back here from the street so it isn't as nicely finished as it should be. There is still cardboard and newspaper needing a leaf topping.

I've got salad bowls in various stages right now; started another one yesterday.  They are out in mostly full sun right now, but I'll be moving them over here to the shady zone as the heat hits.  See how long I can get some greens. 

All these in the shady zone are growing much slower than in full zone.  But, I'm hoping they are developing strong root systems to help them later.

Black seeded Simpson lettuce will reseed in favorable conditions.  I've given it the entire south side of the rotted tree stump bed layered nicely in peat, black cow and pine fines.  Fingers crossed for reseeding - as well as for lasting well into the heat.

Other heat loving greens that are planted around in this bed, some Yu Choy Sum Hybrid , Misome, and Komatsuna.  The later should hopefully last all summer in the shade, as well as reseed.

I've started some Florida Variegated Collards ordered from Fedco; these are reported to be perennial here in Florida - though likely only baby leaves will be taste worthy in the heat.  These collards will all be planted in part shade - I've seen that all the collards I've planted in part shade have done better than full sun.

Leaf veggies should be able to tolerate part shade, they aren't sitting fruit after all.  And, at least the Rapini is blooming in the shady zone; so there is promise.

It's all an experiment, and learning.  I will be tickled green if I can extend my raw brassica season; as will my blood test results.  So we will continue ....

No comments: