Saturday, February 19, 2011

Spring Time!

Yesterday I folded up the plant blankies.  Today, I caught myself sneezing and sneezing ----- looked up to see the neighbors oak full of pollen.  Then noticed the Black Cherry in full baby leaf buds.  Blooms soon!  Speaking of blooms; the Calamondin is loaded. 

So many things growing and blooming and bolting.  Still, it is lovely.  I'm letting the broccoli raab and the green lance hybrid bloom just because.  I'm also trying to get seed from the Buttercrunch and Red Sails lettuce, so I have some of those in spike.  I'm also letting the dandelions bloom; more good bugs please.  Oh, and a bunch of arugula is setting bloom spikes.  **fingers crossed**

I have noticed that several of the marigold seeds I scattered late fall are now blooming.  And, some of the marigold seed I saved and scattered is coming up, so hopefully we will soon be ablaze in yellow drops of golden goodness.

I think we can safely commence planting season.  Which means the race to beat the bugs has begun.  So far; Imps 0 and Bugs 3.  The aphid invasion has begun.  Actually, so have cut worms on the wando peas, at least I think it is cut worms; looks like.  So any of the cherry tomatoes going into the ground from here on out need protective collars.

My tomato seedlings are behind schedule.  They should be double the size they are right now.  Part, is my design failure on the first seedlings.  Otherwise, I'm not too sure.  Part I'm sure is inconsistent soil and water.  I think I need to implement the eggcrate bottoms with wicked cups for better water management.  That will also allow me to keep a weak fertilizer solution going.

I found some black trays that work nice - and were cheap.  I can buy some eggcrate light panels and cut them down to fit inside the trays.  Then wick each cup out of holes in the bottom of the cup.  The cup will actually be sitting above the water, and the wick and plant roots will pull the water each plant needs.  That will lessen the need for soil/water retention consistency.  My only problem right now is that I think they trays should be white.  Why white?  Well, I'm not totally sure; other than I think white will reflect and bounce light around better.  And,  as a pre-teen; when most girls where hanging posters of the Monkeys in the bedrooms, I was propagating african violets [using white trays] to make money to buy my own professional bassoon. Yes, I'm a qeek from way back.


So, my tomatoes and peppers are experiencing failure to thrive.  Well, they aren't growing as fast as they should.  I'm getting a tad better though, each round of new seeds progresses better.  Currently, I start tomato & pepper seed on top the frig or hot water heater.  As soon as I see the slightest smidgen of a tail, they move to the garage under the lights.  As soon as the first set of true leafs appear; they go out by the garden heater aka electrical box underneath a buddleja bush.  The bush filters the sunlight somewhat.  As soon as I guess-ti-mate them to be ready for more sun, I move them to the top of the garden heater which has a large ancient bush providing a bit of shade.

Up till now, all the planned tomato seedlings have gone into pots; in the event we had a late freeze I could bring them in.  Any extra seedlings, and I seem to have several of those, have been planted into place in the cherry bed and the back raised bed.  So, at least a few have a bit of a jump start.  Not what I would prefer.  It is all learning and experiencing.

So, yes there are pots of tomatoes sitting around.  Many of the pots are also growing salad makings.  The original pots at TRATEOFD are potted up with my experiment tomato.  Hmm?  Well, last fall I decided to learn how to save and start tomato seed.  Having never done so.  I used the Campari tomatoes from the grocer.  They are hybrids; so who knows what I will get fruit wise.  Plant wise, I think every dang seed I planted germinated, and every plant lived through winter.  And they are all in bloom right now.  What will the tomatoes be like?  Well, I can't say yet; but I'm guessing better than what I would have for the price otherwise.

But, most importantly; next fall - I need to start half dozen or so tomato seedlings and carry them through the winter, for early blooms and hopefully early fruit.  Now, how can I translate that into early fall tomatoes?  I'm pretty darn sure hubs is not going to let me air condition the garage so that I can start fall tomatoes in May.

I'm glad to see spring poking its head around the corner.  But I will be sad to see our winter lawn leave us.  It looks so nice and peaceful,  park like.  Serene.  And as one of the kids said; 'I really like your grass, it is so soft and nice to roll on.'  Gee kiddo, hope you check for dog poop first!  Whoever it is in the 'hood who doesn't pick up after the dogster - be warned!  Nothing like the wrath of a pooped teen.

And you can be darn certain that I'm not rolling around in the soft grass in our backyard! 

We overseed winter rye in October.  We like the look, and it serves the purpose of winter fertilizer for us.  Also, it gives me green mass for the compost pile.

I keep the front portion of the front lawn regularly mowed, primarily as weed control.  The back yard I have not mowed at all.  It's coming up time to mow it though.  First mow will be a mulch mow.  Followed up a few weeks later with a bagged mow, to collect for compost. 

I need to get some lime out now; ideally before the rain scheduled end of next week.  Then when the rye starts dieing off from heat; I'll spread Bahia seed again.  I need to do many things over the next few weeks.  Move seedlings into beds; upsize seedlings; start seedlings; plant transplanted grass; fix the raised bed.  Get tomatoes into the raised bed.  I love spring time!  So much to do, and so much to enjoy.

No comments: