| Before |
| During |
| After |
It might not look like much; but the plant roots and base are alive. Amazing. Under the mulch is black plastic, and during the cold weather it was capped with a cloche. Translate: upside down pot spray painted black camo. If it warms up enough during the day I take it off. This is a Lebanese White Bush Marrow Summer Squash. It is an early type, producing in 50 days and does well in hot dry areas. My thought was to grow this as a fall plant. Perhaps I should have started it sooner. Or, the winter should not have come with such a vengeance
Side bonus! Planned actually. The big yellow squash blossoms are very ornament-ally attractive.
I planted it out near the street where it gets lots and lots of sunlight. The black plastic under the heavy mulch layer is to help the soil retain heat and to help deter bugs. I do think the plan has merit; next year I need to start the seed earlier. This seed was started on Oct 5 and planted out on Oct 12. It had been blooming profusely, no mature female blooms quite yet. So, next year start in September I think; or maybe one in August and one in September.
And, the surprise warm factor? Actually, I suspected it would be. Nice that it is confirmed in triples. The electrical box. See that tomato leaning against the side? It has had no protection or covers at all. And the zinnia's in the front? The only happy flowers around right now.
So next fall? The summer squash will get planted smack dab on the center of the electrical box!
The other surprise, survivability wise is TRATEOFD. I have tomato youngsters planted in pots under those sheets. The plan was to use some painters plastic drop to make a greenhouse lean to anchored on the shephards hooks. I haven't quite gotten the green house going yet; but the cover up treatment combined with the surprise factor; they are doing well.
Surprise! All the plants, including the eggplant and basil planted in against the wood fence are alive and thriving. I'm guessing the fence blocks the NE cold air and the extensive oak canopy help to keep the warmth at ground level. Oh, and my pathway created and stabilized by old carpet remnants probably helps to retain soil heat. The pupsters even go into the act by volunteering their nice cozy doggie beds and plant covers.
Hrrrmmph. The agribon row cover cloth just arrived. Couldn't we have decided on this earlier? Oh well, we got the -30 "Provides up to 26°F/-3°C frost protection. Great overwinter protection for strawberries, lettuce, spinach, etc. Use with hoop supports over plants such as peppers whose growing points project against the fabric. 70% light transmission. 0.9 oz./sq.yd." Think I'll bundle myself up and go put it on top the NE salad bar in place of the current sheets.
Oh, here is a better picture of the surprise I'm almost a happy tomato. Need to think of ideas to use the warmth generated from the electrical box next winter.
Maybe a lean to short hot house? Wonder if I can sneak anything over to the neighbor's side?
No comments:
Post a Comment