Thursday, December 30, 2010

The aftermath ....

Following up from yesterdays uncovering .....

I didn't even manage half the front yard mowing and today my head and ears are pounding like multi-ton mortars.  So, no finishing the front yard mowing.  Putzing around this morning over a slow leisurely cuppa coffee, I saw that Fedco 2011 ordering is online.  First priorities .... our tummies.

Did manage a bit of work out today.  Checked up on the status of the survivors.

While there are many obvious losses from the freeze two weeks back; there is yet a rosy side to see!

This is a Mr Lincoln rose; tag uncovered during the summer clearing and relishing in the the weed free veggie supplemented remodeling.

The summer heat loving crops are for the most part entirely history.  The eggplant in the NE salad bar is hanging on, and I'm hoping to keep it going to provide a few fruits early in the year while the next generation grows up.  Also, with the warming spell this week maybe the fruit on the plant will grow up a bit more and we can have more homegrown homecooked eggplant?

Baker Creek Seeds includes a complimentary sample seed pack with each order; our first order included Purple Top Turnips.  Lookee!  And the fresh greens are quite tasty.

Why this one is so much more advanced than the others planted at the same time I have no idea.

I have seen just how much cooler temperatures positively affect seed germination and leaf growth on the winter greens.  Today I teased apart and planted in separate cups a half dozen celery, and recalled when I was cursing my luck getting celery to grow.  So, lessons learned on celery; starting in Oct will drive me crazy; starting in Nov; easy street.


I am gobsmacked dumbfounded over how well this little section is doing.  Wasn't it just yesterday I was digging catbrier out by the arm loads?

The collards, petunia and broadleaf mustard were planted here mid November.  Doing very well.

Boodes well for the section in front of the garlic pots come early spring.




We have been really enjoying the red kale from the produce department; and I was so looking forward to harvesting our own.  So far, the jury is out on the red russian kale.  It is finally starting to perk up and grow a bit with the recent freezes; but gee; still not enough to eat; and most definitely not deep purple.  Nice purty lavendar though.

I was looking back over seed starts today to see how long something or another had taken to grow up, and  found a picture of this section I started mid-October.

WoW.  60 days, and we've been adding thin-ings from here to our salad greens for several weeks now.

Oh, and the rings for raised plant beds are working quite nicely.




Well hello there cute little ms radish?  Nice to see you peeking out there from under your pretty leaf skirt.  It is so nice to have you make an appearance to our little dining festival.  And quite good to have a bit of my gardening sense confirmed.

So, yes - check - this IS a good spot for late winter edibles.  Just needs a bit of refinement.  Like - not starting winter seed at the end of August; if I'm direct seeding protection from cutworms; a bit better soil and topping - such as those bags of  pine fines over yonder.

I'm working on expanding this area just a bit; because .... it took a lot more cold damage than other areas; which leads me to believe that it just might hold onto fresh salad greens longer when it  starts warming up.




Mystery Volunteer?

What the heck is this healthy thing that wasn't bothered a bit by the freezes?

It has to have come from something we composted, as the top of this bed was filled by emptying the compost bin a tad bit early.  I planned to let it finish composting in place while I cover cropped it with peas and winter rye.

 Tool box moved - check.

East window seeding area expanded - check.

Fluorescent fixture not hung quite yet; poor hubs is still sickly.

More seeds planted up today; more clean up work in the yard; finished front yard mowing and planted out the broadleaf mustard and some of the broccoli rappini that was growing up in 9 pack cell trays.

Warm temperatures forecasted for the next 10 days - woot!    Happy New Year!

No comments: