Thursday, December 2, 2010

Get Low

Squat?  Kneel?

Not happening here.




Bending over height?  I just take a load off and sit down.  Good height for a seat, and bars/grips on the side to lever on and off.

Get down really low?  In ground planting height?  Or, at this time harvesting and thinning.  My arm strength is more than adequate to use the frame as a lever to get up and down.  A bit hard on the knees if I do too much, so I ration.

But, when I need to get down really low, I reach for the right tool for the job. 

And, I can sling it over my shoulder like a back sack and the weight centers in the middle of my back and off I go.

My FIL showed up one day with one of these.  They are typically used for kneeling or sitting.  I don't do kneel.  But, I try to be open minded about what I can and can not do; and how to re-purpose items to suit my needs.  So .....

I watched Pops, and thought to myself ... I think I can.

Now, trying things that are a bit of reach is a good thing.  So long that you have a spotter on stand by with you.  My FIL is my very best spotter.  He is more than willing to stand by and let my try something.  And if it doesn't work - well then he can haul me up or go for help.  Instead of kneeling at ground level; I lower myself down carefully; using my arm strength to lower into a sitting position at ground level.  Then to get up; again I use my arms to lever me up until I can get my legs into action to help that last bit up.  Suppose it helps that I am: short, reasonable weight, and work my upper body.  Guess I do have to admit; that just daily going about being some variety of mobile gives me upper body workouts.

Getting this stool; opened up possibilities that I just didn't have before.  And that is a good thing.

No comments: