Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Helping Legs

Sometimes I need a bit of extra help.  Like if I'm getting ready to head out and the sky opens up with one of the infamous Florida 5 minute sky cleaners that leave the ground treacherously slippery.  Warning! Warning!  Danger!  Fall Alert!

I do not like to fall down.

Out comes ....

You know, I really need to name this guy.  He is really a fine and dandy helper.  Well loved as you can see. I need to give him a bit of a spruce up, particularly the grips.  Maybe a bit of spit and polish.

I picked this guy out after doing some reading around because the standard hospital send you home with walker just wasn't going to let me pursue my dreams regardless of the circumstances of my legs.  Made by Etac; purchased from amazon.

Key points:
  • Large wheels for access to multiple terrains
  • Rugged
  • Secure
  • Well made
  • Built in crutch holder
  • Strap breaks
As I was getting ready to go out and harvest lunch and dinner for the day; the rain clouds busted open.  Much needed rain; but mighty slippery.  I decided to err on the side of smart and brought out Mr Needs A Name.

I was smart enough to lay out our edible garden's with enough space for access around with my walker or crutches.  Except for one small spot when I extended the backside of the NE garden to be able to plant more eggplant and okra come spring time.  There is one section I can't quite make it through with the walker, but I can on crutches. 

For the most part the wheels are holding up well to the terrain.  These are 8" solid caster wheels; about 2" in diameter.  The larger and wider wheels makes it easy to roll over just about anything.  I bog down a bit with large chunk size mulch or really loose sand; otherwise I'm foot loose and fancy free.  If a bit slower than the average bear.

No comments: