So, long time without rain, then 3 straight days of rain. 2.5" so far. A great time to be starting seeds and potting up tomatoes. Sadly, I think the rain is done for a bit, forecast is for record highs the next several days.
An excellent time to be a tropical water lily me thinks!
The first round of tomatoes, the cherries (that I lost most of to dampening off) have started blooming.
The second round of tomato starts got potted up. The Lime Green Salad tom's are all in their final pots. Mountain Magic, Great White, Lemon Boy, Jubilee are all in 6" pots to grow up some more. And of course, Hybrid Tropic Boy - the most vigorous is out in its pot under the garden arbor. With a protective wire cover. Part of the third round got potted up to large cups. More are of the third round will be potted up tomorrow.
I really am liking the Fafard Seed Starter Potting Mix. It is working well in my environment, not drying out too fast and not staying too wet. I ran out, and had to go buy more. So, I can start round four tomatoes tomorrow! I'll be starting Little Lucky, the super.resist.all Granadero from Johnnys and two more I've not yet decided. Probably Kellogg's Breakfast and ???.
The first round of brassica's are up and doing well. I managed to get them a bit sunburned, so I've backed off on the hardening off. They can't go out quite yet anyway. The peppers on the front porch are up and doing ok. I lost a few, but that was expected.
The first round of fall beans, cucumbers and squash have gone out. Two weeks or so, I'll plant out the next round.
The first round of lettuce has been a great success! Must do more .... I brought the pot into the house and sit it in front of the sink. Made sure to keep it spritzed. As soon as the seeds where good and sprouted, I took it out under the lights. Going good .... about ready to be divided and potted up into cups me thinks.
And in other seed starting news, listed in no particular order:
Purple Podded Pole
Royalty Purple Pod Bush
Green Glaze Collards
FL Variegated Collards
Matador Spinach
Redbor Kale
Radicchio
Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce
Argentata Swiss Chard
Evergreen Tenderleaf Amaranth
Leek Carentan
Bunching Onions Green
Brite Lights Swiss Chard
Giant Dore Ameliore Celery
Celery Tall Utah
Hybrid Winter Squash Butternut Metro F1
Hybrid Cucumber American Slicing Corinto F1
Broccoli De Cicco
Hybrid Greens Happy Rich F1 - mini Broccoli
Greens, Cress
Broccoli Spigariello Liscia
Rocket Arugula
Red Veined Sorrel
No comments:
Post a Comment