and what an adventure it has been!
Along the way, I have learned ways to insure a serving of broccoli for me.
Planting Broccoli for Me
Plant one for the spouse
One for each of the kiddos
One for each of your relatives who drop in
One for each of your neighbors who donate compost
One for the 2 legged thief in the night
One for the 4 legged bushy tail rodents
One for the creatures with big gnashers coming out from the ground at night
One for the creatures who gloom their slimy self onto fresh tender greens
One for the armadillo that comes by to eat the creature with the big gnashers
One each for the fall weather muses: Tropical Storm, Late Drought, Early Freeze
Finally, one serving of Broccoli for me!
Repeat at 7 to 10 day intervals starting in mid July right on up to mid April.
Yes Virginia, we ate Broccoli in June.
I started the first batch of Broccoli de Cicco third week of July. Two more batches are going, including one in ground. A batch of Broccoli Spigariello Liscia is going under light.
I moved a flat of tomatoes from the lights to the front porch. Potted up a flat of Broccoli.
- Broccoflower Italian
- Pieracicaba non-heading Broccoli
- Broccoli, Spigariello
- Purple Sprouting Broccoli
- Broccoli Rapini
Oh, and I snuck in a row of Spinach Bordeaux.
Most of the Broccoli is destined for the South Garden on a Dime. I'll let that six pack grow up just a bit more, then it will help launch the newest growing spot. I've got pine shavings holding down newspaper in the black cow and compost bin amended areas for edibles. Although this section is about 6" of mulch, I do think I will take some precautions and plant them out with some paper cup collars.
The seed I direct sowed? That I'm shocked and amazed is doing as well as it is?
I'm ready for salads. All this work on salad makings has me so craving a good salad that I broke down and bought stuff at the grocer. Even the pricey organic, hydroponic stuff lacked the punch of flavor we've grown to consider the good stuff.
Oh, and as soon as Pacman Hybrid Broccoli shows up in cellpacks a the nursery? I'll be grabbing a few. Or more ...
I'm planting out Broccoli in shady areas. Some of the shady areas will be getting more sun once the deciduous trees drop leaves. Still, primarily part-shade beds. I did learn last year that Pacman broccoli at least does just as well, and in our case better in part shade. I'll be learning about the non-heading broccoli.
After I eat it .....
No comments:
Post a Comment