Sunday, April 22, 2012

Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Seed started mid August.  It is finally putting out some sprouts.  Maybe it has not been getting enough irrigation since it sprouted out along with the rains we've just had.

I can't believe you can see hints of lavender, I would have thought the purple part would require some cold weather.  Can't wait to try them!

Of course, with the wind and rain we've had the past several days, it is now laying precariously into the driveway.  Which puts it at high risk from huge motor homes and BJ's backing up [un]abilities.  Maybe time to invest in some heavy duty staking?

The plant is totally huge.  Before it started leaning we saw eye to eye (~ 5 feet).  It is at least a four foot diameter.  The leaves are platter size.  Wrapped grilled fish anybody?

I only planted 3 of these.  One fizzled out, one is planted in a raised bed on the inner path side and is getting big but not putting out side shoots or showing signs of sprouts.  If it doesn't do something soon I'm going to harvest all those leaves and make broccoli pesto. 

Figures the one finally putting out sprouts is the one hanging out into the driveway the week the folks are due to show up.


Just for perspective, here is a not so good photo with my stool in front.  Since you see my stool in the photo you know I'm not sitting on it in order to get a level frontal photo.  Too tired by that point to go fetch up another stool.

Several weeks ago, this one started putting out these little buds at the leaf axil.  [ Leaf axil is the point on the top side of a leaf petiole where it joins with the stem.  The petiole is the leaf branch. ] Proof I am not sleeping through MG class and I am keeping up with my homework.

These little bulblets started at the top of the plant and are making their way down.  They grow fast and leafy.  My guess is they will also have purple sprouting broccoli's.

I would love to see one of these go to bloom, and I bet the bees would love it.  Oh, well - next year.  Only I think I better start my seed in mid June.  And find a better and bigger spot to plant in ground.

In the trivia department, Purple Sprouting Broccoli is credited to the Romans.  It has been cultivated for years in England.  Not something you will find in the grocer, but suppose to be very tender and tasty.  Don't overcook!  Steam lightly.

No comments: