Sunday, the fledglings left the comfort of their nursery. Yup, they fledged. I knew something was up when I went out with my morning coffee. Mom and Dad both were making more racket than I've ever heard from them. Hoping around on the ground near the nest and chirping. And feeding the babies on double time.
The babies were eating it up -- literally! It is hard to believe that 4 babies fit inside this small house. But they did. They would stick their beaks out to get feed then stick their tush out to unload. Too funny.
At one point, a woodpecker came along to feast on the wild cherry near the nest. Mom and Dad went into immediate action puffing up into miniature feathery balls of rage. Chased the woodpecker right off.
I worked away in the front yard all day Sunday, wore my camera and watched the nest. Somehow managed to miss 3 of the babies taking off. That left one, and I swear he was male. He started chirping up a ruckus after a few hours. Hubs and I both tried to see him leave the nest. We saw him several times trying to get brave enough to come out the door. We both missed the actual event.
It has been pretty exciting having our own grand-birds right here a few feet from the front porch. And I'm certainly going to miss Mom and Dad helping out with bug patrol around here.
No comments:
Post a Comment