Sunday, April 22, 2012
Breaking News! War Declared!
I came home Wednesday afternoon from class and was bombed on my own driveway with one of my own full grown heirloom beefsteak tomatoes. It came from the back garden bed. I spent part of Thursday cleaning out an old computer file storage drawer to get silver platters and then hung them in and around the back garden. Supposedly the random swirly silvery flash and reflection will help keep squirrels (and birds) away.
Not the squirrels at our house. They have armed themselves and declared war.
Friday I got home after driving 30 miles in a horrible storm in a piss-poor mood because Hubby dearest couldn't be bothered by the fact his wife blows over in the wind and goes slip sliding in the rain so I had to stop in at the grocer. Stepped out of the car to find my bell pepper plants completely stripped. Fruit, leaves, stems and all.
My mood tanks even further.
Saturday morning, after a leisurely time reading on the front porch and enjoying my coffee, I go on a garden tour. Every single last tomato from current to beefsteak in the back garden and side garden is gone. Just gone.
War is declared. Take no prisoners. You do know that not too far back in my family tree my Florida relatives ate squirrel, right your thieving rodent? Bet you would be pretty tasty added to some vegetable stew.
Update! Can't help myself, just have to include this. Step by step instructions with photos on how to skin squirrel. In the mean time, I found a screech owl box to mount overlooking the back veggie bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
It seems like it always is that way here in Florida. I lost many of my tomatoes when the freak windstorm blew them over. The squirrels were after them last season, but so far seem to be more into the oranges this year. The birds are after the blackberries and the purple tomatoes. The silly bunny keeps biting off all my flowers. The woodpecker is trying to take down my tree every 15 minutes. Oh yes, I haven't even mentioned the bugs! It really is harder to grow things here.
GET EM!!!!! I'm rooting for you
Post a Comment