Saturday, May 14, 2011

Summer Plans

What will we be eating this summer?

and how many times am I going to try to finish this post?  and try to remember what I wrote that went missing??

Started seeds:  Amaranth, Beet Berry, Garlic Chives, Cherry Tom's, wild arugula, Black Lima's, Yardlongs, Currant Tom's, Papalo, Mexican Sour Gherkin, Florida Cranberry, Parsley, herbs .....

Most of these are growing now in small numbers, just want some more going.

Still looking for Katuk cuttings ....

Growing, growing,,,,,,,, eating

Dwarf bush cowpea - we have taste tested - it passes the yummy test

Whippoorwill pole cowpeas are starting on the rose arbor

Tomatillos, Cherry Tomatoes and Currant Tomatoes growing and most fruiting.

Okra

Malabar Spinach and Okinawa Spinach are both growing.  As soon as the drought breaks I'll start more cuttings of the Okinawa Spinach.  We like the taste of the baby leaves fine in mixed green salads.

Oh, and mustn't forget BEAN SPROUTS!  Easy way to get some fresh fiber added to your meals.  I've been sprouting lentils and mung beans with no issue.  Broccoli sprouts?  Not so.

Winged Bean.  This is a tropical perennial and all parts of it are edible!  I'm growing the day neutral variety from ECHO.   I've one plant growing by the garage and another in the back parking pad.  Hopefully they will get enough protection through the winter. 

Chayote - new growth is edible and the seeds, though not making an appearance until fall are yummy squash family

False Roselle - pretty, pretty perennial that is tolerating shade at our place - new growth fabulous in salads.  The Florida Roselle is an annual and slower than molasses to get going.  It is also good in salads.

Parsley- flat leaf - we like.  One of the overlooked easy to grow miracle greens.

Culantro and Papalo for summer salsas!    Oh, and hot peppers to go with the salsa!

Sweet Potato

Jack Bean - only the immature pods are edible

Eggplant!  Bunches of Eggplant!

Oh, mustn't forget the smilax.  Shhhh!  If I keep cutting off the baby new growth suppose I could ever stunt the stuff?

OK, so I just read that the Asian market Sweet Potatoes have much better tasting leaves than the grow from the spuds sweet potatoes.  And, the technique is go to the Asian Market and buy several varieties.  Eat the leaves, and start the stems of those you like.  *Note, start stems like any soft green stem cutting

Amaranth.  I suspect I should have started much more of this.

Basil - many different varieties of basil.

IF, and geez at the rate I'm going with squash that is a really big IF, the winter squash gets going, we will have squash blossoms.

It will be interesting to look back in a month or two and see how this spot will be looking.  It already looks different since I've frozen more greens for the summer.  I'm letting most of the Keira Cabbage stay, as it just keeps putting out new baby leaves which are quite good in salads.  Baby kale leaves are also good.

We are learning that baby growth of almost anything classed edible is much better than 'shipped from around the globe or under an unknown cloud of noxious' salad greens from the supermarket chains.

In the lettuce experiment departments:  Black Seeded Simpson lettuce is holding on great, still taste great - has been visited by the armadillo.  Yes, they are back .... grrrrr.  Yu Choy - check for goodness.  Eating and growing.    Fingers crossed for the UH and Jericho - I forgot to cover them and we did really get rain.  Oh, and we've tremendously good luck with harvesting leaves from pacman broccoli growing in the shade.  Though this will be ending very soon I'm sure.

Now if I could just find some katuk plants or cuttings!

Oh, almost forgot - the beetberry/strawberry spinach is starting to take off with the warmer weather.  This is another I can't wait to taste.  And probably learn that I didn't plant enough. 

Fallow?  Say What?  No way ....  I've got the beginner's luck and as Dr. Cole says, the 'oddball combination of patience and extreme stubbornness'.  Keep 'em growing ....

No comments: