Monday, May 16, 2011

Harvest Monday - Eeek! Scales!

Joining Daphne and Friends for Harvest Monday!

And, I still don't have a scale.  Buying a scale shouldn't be so hard.  So, I'm asking my friends in the computer to stop by and give me some tips and advice.

What do I want from a scale?  I dunno.  What am I going to use it with?  Well, weighing my harvest of course.  And canning.  And pickling.  And if I get really brave, bread making.  I don't really bake.  I'll make pumpkin or banana bread now and again.  And if I ever manage to grow squash, I'll make zucchini bread.  OH, I do bake Dog Cookies and Training Treats.   But those don't need a scale, after all I have Cannon and Rosie to taste test.

I keep coming back to this Escali.  I like the price, the size and that it uses standard double AA batteries.  I don't understand if it will work for both dry and wet.  I don't even know how to explain my question!  See, I need help.

Tomorrow, or later tonight, I'll be picking our first Everglades Tomato and our first beefsteak size Tomato.  Both grown and nurtured from seed right here under the oaks.  And the dichotomy continues with the occaissonal salad still coming from garden along with a mess of eggplant, salad tomatoes, cucumbers .... and .... drum roll please!  Our very first grown from seed Southern Field Peas.  Not enough for a meal, but they needed to be picked so they are freezing right now.  When I have enough for a meal?  Oh-la-la it will be a dining experience.  Shouldn't be too much longer.  Maybe a couple of weeks.  Maybe in time for company due in June?

After the dismal spring pole bean showing, I'm not missing out on summer cowpeas.  I have 60 dwarf bush cowpeas growing and beaning.  Well, I haven't really counted them.  I planted 60 and have another pack of 60 for succession planting as we eat up the greens and clear space for more beans.  I have 90 Whippoorwill Pole cowpeas planted.  The long beans out back have sprouted and 2 of my butterbeans have sprouted (finally, guess it was the rain).

I've been popping Mysore Raspberries like candy in the morning.  Oh my, so very good.  I'm working on getting some tip rootings so we will have more next year. 

We are also still getting strawberries.  They have slowed down, but if I look, they are still bearing.

Oh, and we've got the first Okra ready to pick.  I think it's ready at least.  But we need more than just one!

Berries and Okra on the same day.  That just seems odd.  Heck, I'm a beginner, what do I know???

The spring crop is heading towards a graceful ending.  We've a reprieve this week with a front coming through and some lower temps.  Hopefully I will get some more tomato to set fruit.  I've gotten tomatoes, but not nearly the amount I WANTED!  I've learned some things.  I'll be a little bit smarter for the fall round of tomatoes.  And with a bit of knowledge came the fall tomato seed order.  I'll plant more of the Hybrid Tropic Boy that I grew this spring.  And have ordered from Tomato Growers:  Mountain Magic, Lemon Boy, Dwarf Wild Fred and Lime Green Salad.  I also have Silvery Fir that I'll grow this fall.  I'm planning this line up for my go to selection for the front yard garden.  Out back, I'll plant more of the rambunctious growers and hope they do better in Fall than they did for this Spring.  It just got too hot too fast for my limited amount of sun in the back.  If Mom BJ wants to do a Tomato Earthbox I'm thinking the Mountain Magic, Lemon Boy and either Lime Green Salad or Silvery Fir.

Tonight we made homegrown homemade Eggplant Parmigiana.  It was very good.  I've had a crockpot of pasta sauce (to be frozen) going all day as well as another batch of greens to freeze.  And closing in on enough cucumber to pickle another jar of sour dills.  Not a great harvest.  In fact, not much at all compared to many of the regulars.  But I have to remind myself that I've more than doubled last spring. 

Rome wasn't fed in a day.  And sometimes dinner is late.

I think I'll go have a raspberry or three or four. 

Oh, almost forgot.  I think I may know part of why my squash hates me.  I'm guessing it is wanting more calcium.  Drrrr .....

5 comments:

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

We've got that Escali scale. It works great for weighing produce, and other kitchen duties. If you want to weigh wet ingredients, put a container on it, zero it out, then put the wet stuff in the container.

Barbie~ said...

Oh- DOn't go tossing out the cowpeas, they will come back for another crop! If you need the space go ahed and pull them, but if you don't leave them and you will see that in 4 weeks you'll have another mess of flowers and growth. :-)

Daphne Gould said...

I've got a different scale, but most digital scales are just fine. Mine only goes up to 6 lbs and I ought to have more. I picked it because it was short and slim and went well in my kitchen. I figure I'll have to weigh any big squash on my bathroom scale. But most of the time I don't get very weighty things.

tervy said...

Toss Cowpeas! No way. I don't toss much of anything. Oh, I see - I used 'succession' incorrectly. The dwarf bush cowpeas are growing in salad bar row. As the salad bar is eaten up, and the season winds down I've been sticking a cowpea here and there. Until I emptied the first bag and immediately experienced a burning need for more seed. So I'll have close to 100 plants going or so?

Amber said...

I really do like the mysore. This is my first year growing them and I'd heard they didn't taste very good. I'm from Ohio and we used to pick raspberries right out of the woods in the summer. These taste almost as good as the black raspberries in Ohio, well not quite but it is the same basic raspberry taste. They are real raspberries not look alikes.