Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cool Beans and [milk] duds

The Bean Status Report:

Wando - not so much this year.  We went from too cold to too hot.  I should probably plant some next spring on the just in case theory.

The sugar snap peas planted as an afterthought amongst the winter rye on the back cattle panel?  Brilliant.  Plant more next late fall.  And plant beans/peas on the fence and the cattle panel.  Consider Fava Beans.

Dwarf Sugar Bush Pea?  Pretty and tasty.  Some seed was planted in new beds to help get them ready to grow good eats and I gained back more seed than I planted.

Purple Podded Pole Bean - go to winner.  Great tasting and easy grower.  The plant a dozen every other week will work good in early spring.

Trionfo Violetta Pole Bean - a prettier vine than the Purple Podded; but OMG dismall germination and production.  PASS.

Dwarf Bush Cowpea - Fagiolino Dolico di Veneto - most excellent to intercrop as the winter/early spring salad bar is waning.  Pretty and tasty.  A bit stringy and not so easy to snap.  I'll cope I suppose.  Super easy to harvest with the beans stick up growth habit.

Black Jungle Lima Bean - May 10 - we have germination and seed leaves!

Make sure to try Jeminez:  80 days.  Red streaked romano-type bean. Delicious, but hard to get seed from. 1 oz.Pkt. - 1 Pkt./$2.50  Great early spring pole bean for Florida.  From Sand Hill Preservation.

PS - Remember that beans and peas can be planted to grow in partial shade.

No comments: