A few experiments that did not work include: floppy frisbees, pipe foam insulation in a laundry bag, styrofoam. Pictured are a few small floating islands made with a form and Great Stuff expanding foam. Another possibility is polystyrene foam: pool noodles and/or cello foam insulation board.
The first photo above is going to be an elevated atoll island; in other words for a plant whose roots do not stay submerged. I will use a sharp serrated knife to carve out the section for the plant. Then I will spray it with adhesive and coat the wet adhesive with beach sand.
The bottom two were made using a planter pot insert and a drain grate. Score the planter insert to match the size of the drain grate. Anything that has lots of drainage and will hold the plant will work for the pot portion of the floating island. The pot portion helps secure the plant from falling completely through the cut out opening and to protect some of the roots from exuberant hungry fish.
These two islands were made for plants that tolerate constantly wet roots and crowns. Such as the impatiens islands you see at Epcot.
The expanding foam, Great Stuff Pond and Stone or Waterfall Foam provides the buoyancy. It also adheres the planter piece to the form. I use Great Stuff Gaps and Cracks. I allow it to cure completely for 24 hours, then let it leach in a bucket of water for another 24 hours. Dow Chemical's product safety publication states the ecotoxity as being practically non toxic to aquatic life. I find that more than safe for my $10 of fish, but if you have several thousands in fish perhaps you can afford to invest in the pond specific expanding foam.
Once your island has completely cured, you can decorate it many ways. Use pond paint to paint the surface black or use adhesive to attach crushed coral or sand. Light sand and crushed coral can also be applied when the expanding foam has sit for an hour or so and is still tacky.
My latest project is a floating fairy island toad house. I will be sure and include a picture of the final island!
Oh! You can anchor your floating island by tying a rock to the form.
No comments:
Post a Comment