Thursday, August 16, 2012

Go Grow Gang

Goldsboro Elementary in Sanford is quite an innovator with school gardens in Seminole County.  The spearhead of the group is Mary Lynn Hess.  I had the chance to meet her back in March when I went down for a clean up day in the sensory garden.  The sensory garden is beside the new vegetable garden.  This was my first out and about gardening venture with the Master Gardener program and I was a bit nervous about the logistics of being a gimpy gardener.

The trip started with my typical parking confusion.  Where to park to get me and my stuff out and to have enough room to get me and my stuff back in when it is time to leave.  I ended up down at the end of the parking lot and walking in with kids getting off the school buses.  I noticed one young man in a nice manual chair who was actively engaged with folks.

I made my way through the front office and sign in, and on out to the back towards the gardens.  I was using my walker/rollator with tools in the walker basket and my go to gardening bench perched on top.  Walking in, the sensory garden is very well established, and has a nice semi-solid pathway.  The sensory garden received an award from IFAS in 2008, you can read all about it here.  Beyond the sensory garden is the new veggie garden.  The Seminole Master Gardeners have been very active in the design and construction.  It is a lovely raised garden, and everybody is very excited about it.  The second thing I noticed is that it isn't wheel chair compatible.  You can read about the veggie garden here and here.

During part of the sensory garden clean up, there was some discussion about changes and improvements in the sensory garden.  I mentioned the central hub of the sensory garden might be a good place to put in some garden space for the special needs kids.  And that I would be interested in assisting if it took off.  Well, yesterday I got a message that the school asked for me specifically for the special needs kids.  They have two classes, about 12 per class and two kiddo's in chairs full time.

I am very excited!  And in keeping with the adults and teachers leading by example, I am going to go in my chair.   Mostly as showing and leading by example, and also because it is probably the safest place for me to be around a big group of kids.  I am really hoping I will be able to incorporate both gardening as well as nature into the volunteer work I'll be doing.  Woot!  Oh, and it has not escaped my inner ironic and sarcastic yelping box that it was United Healthcare that refused to pay for my wheelchair.  You know, 5 years ago, because surely I could just have a rental for a short while.  So I will be volunteering in a garden sponsored by United Healthcare to improve healthy living using a wheelchair that helps me to keep active and thereby more healthy.  That same wheelchair that UHC refused to pay for.

So now I am compiling ideas and suggestions.  I had originally thought to work with plants that grew from big seeds, like lima beans, winter squash and such.  But the teachers are going with a 'Taco Garden' theme.  Hmm, can you say itsy-bitsy tiny seeds???  And actually, tomatoes and peppers should have been started in July.  So, hmmm.  Maybe I should go start another few flats of tomatoes and peppers!  Actually, I am thinking that Everglades Tomatoes might be a good choice.  Plant the whole little tomato!  And some kind of mild pepper.  Definitely not datils, no matter how local.  But hey, don't you need something sweet to go with your tacos?  Maybe Pastelillo de Calabaza?  Pumpkin Empanadas!  Of course.  Maybe also some chayote?  Now that is a plenty big seed to handle and sprout.

I have been thinking about this for awhile now.  Once I realized that special needs kids were frequently left out of the nature trips I started my own little mission.  A few of the bullet points I've got in mind so far:
- everything and every part must be edible in the sense that it cannot be poisonous or an irritant
- different textures & smells
- playing in the dirt and water is FUN!
- moving water with sound and wet stuff
- watering by carrying water from the water feature to the planter bed
- feed the plants with fertilizer mixed with sand and/or clay
- touch, see, feel, engage
- be a seedling fairy - the overnight fairy that shows up and exchanges the seed with a seedling
- try to incorporate parts of the IEP into the time in the garden & nature
- have planter beds at different heights - to adjust for standers, sitters and rollers
- kid sized hand trowels with easy to grip handles
- water, hand towels & wipes for kids with sensory issues (thanks Barbie)
- sun hats
- grow seeds inside in clear plastic cups that kids can take home (southern peas, lima beans, sweet potatoes, pumpkin)

I personally don't expect all the special needs kids to learn  'where does food come from'.  I'm just keen to provide everybody, regardless of mobility or lack thereof, the chance to get outside and experience nature.  I  

So yes, reading, researching and collecting ideas.  Ideas from parents of special needs kids would be really great.

Sources of additional information:
Gardening with special needs
Humpty Dumpty House
Pompano School Sensory Garden
Pioneer Education Center's Garden for Special Needs Kids
Gardening with Children with Special Needs
School Gardens are for Everyone




2 comments:

Barbie~ said...

Keep in mind that some of the SN & sensory kids may have issues with the dirt itself. It took me AGES to get one of mine over that. Keep a bucket nearby for frequent hand washing. :-)

I love that they have called on you for this. What a wonderful way to share you knowledge. I cna't think of a better group to share it with. Keep us posted. I sure hope we get to see some of the progress!

tervy said...

Ah, excellent point Barbie. It is the little things like this that I need/want to pick up on ahead of time.