Friday, July 27, 2012

Garden Sketching for Geeks

I can not draw a straight line without a straight edge.  I can not sketch to scale.  I can't freehand in perspective.  I can see it in front of me, I can see it in my mind.  Between my mind and my hand, something breaks down.  I remember back when in school using tracing paper and a light table to get what I needed for papers and such.

These days?

Never fear!  Geek is here!

Step the First:  Using your handy dandy digital camera take a photo of what you are after.  Pay attention to perspective and angle.

Step the Second:  Upload the image to your computer.

Step the Third:  Use your imaging software to size the photo to match the size of your sketch paper.

Step the Fourth:  Hold (or use painter's tape) the sketch paper over the photo image on your monitor

Step the Fifth:  Use a soft pencil and light hand to trace the portion of the photo you want to sketch

Step the Sixth:  With the photo image on the monitor and your sketch pad back on your desk (or lap), proceed to complete your sketch using any combination of pencil or ink you desire.

Step the Last:  Use your digital scanner to scan and upload your finished sketch work.  Supplement or annotate with image editing software as desired.

Last but not least, use your final sketch work in whatever project you are working on.

Here is my latest Geek Sketch.  This is the 'concept' illustration in the project plan and proposal for my in service portion of my Master Gardener Training.  Fun times.  Learning all sorts of new things!


No comments: