Monday, June 27, 2011

Splish, splash


It cracks me up to watch the fish playing in the rain.  And playing in the stream from the circulation pump.  We nicknamed one of the fish after Rosie.  Rosie and her 'you can't keep me out' smartness trait.  One of the fish found a way into the new section of the pond before it was really open.  She must have gone through skimming.

So after months of little to no rain, what happens?  We find a solution we can both agree on for our electrical pond connections and I decide since it is good and dry to do a bit of remodeling and expanding.  I research on GW Pond Forum about seaming pond liner together.  

Get all my equipment and supplies ready and get to work.   Used double sided duct tape to tape the bottom of each side together.  The tape was just to hold things in place.  Then Gorilla Glued the two bottom sections together.  I put a yardstick on each side of the seam and clamped them to dry for 24 hours.
Then I broke one of the yardsticks.  Clutz.  Next, I folded over a one inch seam.  Gorilla Glued inside the seam, braced and clamped.  Let dry for 24 hours.  The final step was to have been completing the fold over seam with silicone.  Which I did.  Then the rains started.

And maybe I should have been building an ark.  I thought the pond was going to overflow the sides.  I worried the fish would get loose.  The frogs and toads are making hay in the rain.  I was able to fix a few of the problems.  Implementation flaws.  Sand settling and that kind of stuff.  Raising the liner so that runoff can't come streaming into the pond.

Should I be surprised that my seaming job leaks???

Grrrr .....

We've had over 4" of rain in the past 4 days. Plants should be really happy.

We had tadpoles in the new pond section.  From eggs that got scooped into buckets and hatched when I lowered the water level to work on the addition.  Goldfish really like tadpoles.  Gourmet food.  And frog eggs - caviar I guess.

No comments: