Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Purple Passion

Purple/Blue spotted in the garden.

Purple is my very favorite color.  Needless to say I just love purple in the garden.

Blue is hubs very favorite color.  He can be heard to explain with glee "It's Blue!"  I always agree, even when the tag says purple.  Purple/Blue - it all depends on the color balance.  And it is all lovely.


You can find Purple/Blue/Black in the blooms





In foliage.  To the right is a mini purple Basil that has successfully overwintered in Central Florida.  In an unheated greenhouse.  I'm growing it in a pot with a Black Pearl Hot Pepper; the purple black color in each will compliment perfectly.  I'll keep them in a pot, most likely a pot with a lime green painted rim!


In the fruit, as in this eggplant.  Also, in many other fruiting veggies such as kolhrabi, kale, pole beans, tomatoes, hot peppers.

Here is my priority system for choosing edibles:
- Does it grow in this season in my yard?
- Would we like to eat it?
- Does it have purple parts?

SOLD!


 Sometimes you just have to engineer a bit of purple to liven things up and add some pop.  And if you can make it Purple and Lime Green?  Triple Bonus Time.

My neighbor planted dahlias this year.  One is getting ready to open, it has purple in the bloom.  I will probably swoon. 






What do you think?  Blue?  or Purple?

Lovely.

This came from one of my death row purchases.  For about a buck, I brought this plant home.  Babied it a bit till it started with some new growth, then divided it into 3 parts.  Triple Win.




No comments: