Saturday, February 25, 2012

Spring Cleaning

Putting away the winter crops and planting up for spring.  Pictured is Graffiti Purple Cauliflower from Fedco Seeds.  This head is about 6".  It will be dinner tomorrow.  The Purple Sprouting Broccoli from Sustainable Seed Co. is HUGE - about 3 feet tall.  No sign of broccoli's yet.

Spring Planting:

  • Giant Red Mustard seedlings planted
  • Pakchoi seedlings planted
  • Redbor kale seedlings planted
  • Ruby Streaks mustard greens seedlings planted
  • dozen tomato seedlings planted up to 6" pots
  • misc brassica's in 6" pots planted out
  • potatoes hilled
  • two dozen purple podded pole beans seeded
  • arugula seedlings planted
  • galactic red lettuce direct seeded
  • more arugula direct seeded
  • Kuroda carrot direct seeded
  • Burpee Pickler cucumber
  • Seminole Squash seed x 2
  • Hybrid Cantaloupe Tasty Bites x 2
  • Moved a chicory clump
  • divided and moved a mountain marigold
  • seedling tray started: Evergreen tenderleaf amaranth, Komatsuna, Ethiopian kale, India Spinach Beet
  • note to self:  broadcast some purple top turnip seeds amongst the cabbage heads when it starts raining

I actually overwintered a Florida Cranberry Roselle.  Well, it was a mild winter.  And it was in a pot.  It is now in the ground next to the street side crepe myrtle that is showing no signs of budding out.  Found what I'm fairly certain are two Roselle volunteer seedlings that I moved into a garden spot.  I have decided that a mandarin will go in the crepe myrtle spot when it finally gives up.  I'm hoping it will hang around until Tango mandarins are available to the general Florida public.

1 comment:

Barbie~ said...

MUST get the LOUPES in this week, and get some squash started, too. Hilled up my taters last week as well. Looks like we are neck and neck lady! My roselle is still waiting on me I don't know why I haven't started it! Like you I'm dying to get a tango.