Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My gardens are Eclectic

Eclectic - 
1. deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.
2. selecting what seems best from various styles, doctrines, ideas, methods, etc.

 I think that is a compliment.  Delivered by the arbor inspector upon arriving at our house.  I probably should have offered a tour.  But I was embarrassed.  Why?  I'm not sure.

I have tomatoes growing in the ornamental shrubs.  Broccoli and lettuce left to bloom for the butterflies and bees.  A border of pansies (which are pathetic this hot winter) and a border of parsley that is rich and feathery.  A seminole squash growing in a ring under the apple tree and celery ringing the border of the peach tree (with volunteer impatiens in front).   Sweet potato vines running through the muhly grass, sweet clover and purslane.  Basil and hot peppers are intermixed here and there.  Three foot tall broccoli, and Orlando Eggplant tree loaded with fruit and blooms.  Bulbine blooming like wild and Cuban Oregano recovering from the cold snaps.  Redbor Kale and Green Glaze Collards that are both beautiful and delicious.

I sure hope my HS Party Dahlia's come up.  I didn't really know what I was doing.  When they went dormant, I pulled them up, divided them.  Let them rest for a few days, then planted them again.  So far, no sign of activity.  Maybe I should order some more.  They would look really nice fronting the driveway side of the middle raised bed.  

Hmmmm .....  Yellow flowers, dark purple foliage intermixed with Green Glaze collards.  Sounds wonderful.

I guess I must be eclectic.






Sunday it was overcast.  So out in the morning I go with my camera.  Take a whole whole bunch of photos.  Later in the evening, move the photos from the camera card to the computer.  Look over the photos a few times deciding which I want to upload.  Decide it is getting late and will do it Monday.

Monday my computer is DOA.

Shucky darns.  Guess you will have to wait to see the seminole squash (blooming) under the apple tree.  In February.

1 comment:

Barbie~ said...

If you eclectic, that makes me spastic! ;-) I think it looks beautiful and edible makes it even more so. :-D Can't wait to see your seminole. I didn't get any fruit off mine before it got destroyed this year. *put* Time to replant!