It took the better part of a year. Silent pep talks from myself to myself that met with eye rolls and shoulder shrugs. My evil imp kept barging in and pointing to "Field trips will require walking over uneven terrain and may
require walking up to one mile". My compliant imp shrugs and implies maybe we should be realistic about our four feet.
I decide that I'll just haunt the IFAS and UF websites and glean all the information I can. Which of course fuels the flames and makes me want to just jump right on in to a class. Soak up as much knowledge as I can. Have a load of fun, stretch the brain. Get out and do some of the things I've been missing out on these past 6 years.
I started and deleted many e-mail messages to the course instructors. Finally, I found enough courage to face possible rejection and just sent the darn e-mail.
Hi! My name is Dianne and I'm a g'imp. Would you have me in your class? Along on your field trips?
The most wonderful thing happened. She said yes.
She Said YES!
Oh my! Jumping in four feet first. We are off to new places! Adventures! Knowledge! Learning and doing!
I did. I learned. I kept up. I didn't slow the group down. I didn't cause 19 other people to miss out on something because of my four feet.
As the first day of school was closing in, I collected the items I thought might be essential for field trips.
![]() | ||||
| Water proof hiking boots |
![]() |
| Chums Micro pocket belt to hold my cell phone |
![]() |
| Hiking Stool |
I loaded up a good size back pack for class each week. I packed the course notebook, my lunch, bug spray, a windbreaker, cap, water bottle, coffee mug, and throat lozenges each week. I packed a small messenger bag with my iPad for the trail. I loaded the iPad with two apps - Neu.Notes and Sketch Journal that I thought would work well for combining photos and note taking. Towards the end of class, I really missed my camera and took to carrying my compact digital with me. It is connected to a neck lanyard, and can be used without pulling it over my head. The iPad and messenger bag didn't work as well as I hoped.
On the trail, both my hands are occupied with forward mobility. They drive the crutches that power my four feet. Anything I want on the trail has to be attached to my body. Anything involving a lot of walking needs to be as simple, light and un-encumbering as I can manage.
Through trial and error I have learned that anything of weight;or of unusual bulk, such as my stool; is best managed if I can position it in the center of my core. Either center back or center front. Hanging to one side messes with my balance and interferes with my crutches. Back packs or sling bags have continued to be my best option for carrying things around. I've also found that a field vest, such as for hunting or fishing works very well for carrying around items. Waist packs can work well also, but they need to be front accessible. Water bottles to the side interfere with crutching and fanny packs are dang difficult to reach into with your arms stuck into forearm crutches.
Packing for the trail. The important thing for a g'imp is to look over every single candidate and determine if it is truly necessary. And to make sure that those items necessary for continued health and mobility are included. Now that we are closing in the end of 7 weeks, my list of crucial trail items? Water, compact camera, throat lozenges, cell phone, visored cap. I'll add the hiking stool for a long trail. A note on the cell phone - it must be attached to your body at all times. The micro pocket belt makes this oh.so.very easy. Make sure your instructor's cell phone number is on quick dial in your cell phone!
I've learned a few things about my crutches on the trail. This is central Florida, and most everywhere you wander outside is sand. Dry sand, wet sand, shifting sand. I have Performance tips (feet) on my crutches, but I think spike attachments would work out better on the trail. Also, I should be adjusting the length of the crutch by about two inches. The additional length offsets some of the sinking into sand and makes striding easier.
The first day out on the trail, I had flashbacks to rehab. Silently chanting to myself - safety first- safety first. I quickly modified my usual crutch gait. The ground was uneven and unpredictable and I didn't want to keep my eyes stuck to the ground. I wanted to look around as I went. A compromise was in order. I closely checked out the next few feet of the trail, and then carried on forward progress making sure that I always had three of my four feet firmly attached to terra firma before moving the fourth. With three feet grounded I could spare a look around - safely. Interested in learning more about crutch gaits? Check out these gait videos and descriptions.
Our last field trip, we went on a hay ride on an honest to goodness hay trailer. I could not have gotten on and off that trailer by myself. I had the very best class mates. As well as the very best teacher. I suspect that behind the scenes Eleanor arranged a few things to insure that the entire class was able to experience as much of the field trip as they wanted. We had options to join a short hike group or a long hike group. If hike path options didn't exist, we generally formed into the front group and the back group. I didn't feel like I was a hindrance or obstacle to the class.
I had so very much fun. And I learned more than I every imagined I could. And I've got resources to learn more. To do more.
If you have been interested in the Master Naturalist classes don't let wonky legs, knees, hips or ankles hold you back. You can do it! Just grab the right tools for the job.
- Pack light
- Hang it on your body
- Equip your braces
- Grab your walking sticks, trekking poles, fore-arm crutches
- Know your limits
- Remember to allow for the hike back return trip
- Communicate with your instructors
Next on the agenda is the Freshwater Wetlands Module. This coming spring. Based on what I have learned so far, I will be changing some things up. And I will do some dry run walks on the local trails near my house. The trail is my biggest challenge of course. I think I'm going to add a good size waist pack that I can wear to my front. Something like this Jansport Coltrane. With an 8 oz or so flat flask to hold a bit of water. I already have a shoulder sling water bottle holder. I'll load that up and leave it in the vehicle, so I can have access to a big drink or to refill the flask. In the waist pack for on the trail I will carry deet wipes, emergency poncho, throat lozenges, kleenex. I'll keep my cell phone around my waist in the micro pocket. I'll use it for jotting notes as needed. I will keep my compact digital camera on a lanyard around my neck. I'm considering adding a Monocular Pocket Scope. And that is it. I've got to keep it light and balanced.
My Doctor has agreed I need new crutches. He is willing to go to bat for me with the insurance company. This time around, I will get crutches that fit me correctly. And are built to keep up with an active user. I'm looking at these Side Stix. If I have any hope of having them in the next three months I suppose I should be making a decision. My other option are these Fetterman. They both have pros and cons. The Side Stix give more attachment options which means I will have to decide about the feet.
I did it. I pushed myself and I did it. I did something I have also enjoyed, learned a lot of new things, met many new wonderful people. I've gained the confidence to go out on short walks by myself. I've gained tools and knowledge to help me and others appreciate our natural environment. To get out and enjoy nature.
No matter the reason for wonky legs - be it age, illness or injury - it is important for your mental and physical health to keep going. Keep on keeping on.
And those Florida Master Naturalist classes you are interested in? Just do it! Go ahead - sign up. You will go places, learn things, meet great people.
You'll be on your way up!
You'll be seeing great sights!
With special thanks to our instructor Eleanor Foerste and all the students of the Osceola County Fall 2011 Upland Habitats Module.






2 comments:
Glad you took those first steps! No homework tonight, yippee! We will be scheduling the Wetlands Module soon. Please help me continue to be aware of accessability issues and how we can make the outdoor experience special for all people. I love sharing what I have learned and encouraging others to explore. Glad you stretched your crutches and made the move to join us! Please stay in touch. efoe@osceola.org
Congrats on getting your certificate! You grow girl! WHOOT!
Post a Comment