Thursday, December 8, 2011

Forward progress

Ready to plant on both sides.  Finally.  I was trying to have this bed ready to plant this time last month. 

Yep, I'm slow and steady that way.

Still to do is the drip irrigation system and the hoops for cold weather covers. 

It would be really nice if I could get that done before the first freeze forecast, you 'thunk?

The tomatoes are an experiment.  Who knows if I will get any to ripen.  I've also got an entire 20' double row of granex onions that I'm hoping to get to bulb up and put way for storage.  Broccoli, Cabbage, Radish.  To be planted in the next few days: carrots, lettuce and piracicaba broccolini.

The piece-d-resistance?  See the handrail in the background at the shed door?  $10 at habitat.  $30 for the two 24" metal post holders.  Some cement and some gravel.  Huzzah!  I can go up and down the too steep ramp to the garden shed!  I can move equipment up and down the too steep ramp all by myself.

Which makes hubs very happy.  

One of the first times I ventured off into the shed by myself (post g'imp) I got caught by a rain storm and spent an eternity frustrated and stuck inside the shed.   Determined to fix that from ever happening again, I called around and got quoted 1200 big ones to build the ramp properly.  Can you guess we didn't think that was a good use for $1200? 

This is how I originally wanted to build the raised beds.  Tall enough to sit on the side.  Baby steps though.  And, I did learn some things along the way, so over all I guess I'm okay with rebuilding this bed a single year after I originally built it.


Earlier this year.  Version One.  OK, it only cost me about a total of $50.  For everything.  Including soil amendments.

Did it work very well?  Umm, guess that is relative.

Was it easy for me to work in?  NO.

Did it look like something I would want seen on a garden visit?  NO.



Looking much better.  I can't wait until I have burned the gold disc for version two

No comments: