Monday, October 24, 2011
What's eating my sweet potatoes?
And, more information on potato diseases and pest. From the International Potato Center Major Potato Diseases, Insects and Nematodes.
I'm guessing either grubs or cutworms. I found one of each in this (the last) 20 sqft garden. I also found a WHOLE.BUNCH of the bugs pictured on the trowel handle. Did I mention a WHOLE BUNCH. And some of the relatives of this bug were INSIDE the holes in those 3 sweet potatoes pictured. They are pictured on my driveway which is where I threw them when I saw the creepy crawlies inside them. YUCK.
I also found a few of the last bug pictured. Not a lot, just a few. Did I mention a WHOLE BUNCH of the first bug? Of many different sizes. My neighbor and I both think the first bug is in the roach family. The last bug I think is a masked chafer. I don't really know about either of these.
What ever it is that was chomping on my sweet potatoes didn't really eat all that much. My concern right now is impact on storage as well as the next crops in these two beds. Aaaarrrrrgh.
Oh, I pulled 12 pounds out of this bed today. I didn't count the 3 potatoes on the driveway.
So far I am up to 25 pounds. I don't really know if that is good or bad. But hey, it's my first sweet potato harvest! There is two small sections remaining to harvest. Then it's storing and eating.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
All I can say is - BLECH and SQUISH EM! :-D
I hate all beetle/roachy things but the damage seems more round holey than most roaches leave. What do I know - fomr one single sweet tater. LOL.
Post a Comment