Today, I brought home 3 Sugarloaf Pineapple from the fruit section of Lowes for a total of $15. Five dollars each.
*** UPDATED! This IS a picture of my front porch garden. The original picture I *borrowed* was much prettier but would not display.
**
Which leads into my muse of the day .....
I can argue till the cows come home that most edibles can be attractive plants in the garden. But for the sake of arguing with opinionated prejudicial people - you know the HOA gestapo who are picking on my friends trying to grow edibles, what edibles truly can be purchased in the 'ornamental' section of a big box store?
Last winter, I found Bright Lites Swiss Chard and Curly Kale in the ornamental section of the BBS for .99c for a 4" pot. In the Bonnie Veggie area, the are $3-$5 each.
I think I liked it better at the Mom & Pop nurseries when plants were grouped by family, not function.
So, back to my friends .... and cross-dressing plants. What plants can be commonly found amongst the ornamentals but are also commonly eaten?
This is a test of your writing skills. You are encouraged and even allowed to leave comments. I'll come back and post every suggestion. Heck. I'm going to post this over on GW also. See what kind of responses we get. We'll get Barb her growing list yet!
My thinking cap is pretty heat and sweat wilted from being out getting the fall veggies going. But, I'll give it the good ole college try ....
Ornamentals --- ssshhh! you can eat them also!
Banana
Pineapple
Roselle
Rose
Loquat
Kale
Swiss Chard
Cabbage
Onion
Society Garlic
Viola
Purslane
Daylily (species only)
Sweet Potato
Peppers
Nasturtium
Amaranth
Artichoke
Red Giant Mustard
Basil
Lemon Grass
Fig
Date Palm
Guava
Okinawa Spinach
Jerusalem Artichoke
Mexican Tarragon
Parsley
Guava
Okinawa Spinach
Jerusalem Artichoke
Mexican Tarragon
Parsley
Your Turn!
2 comments:
Wait... THOSE are sugarloaf? They don't look as pointy and scary. (not that that every stopped me) But what really gets me is have you ever overwintered one? They always burn up in Pasco.:-(
I've not overwintered in Central Florida, but my neighbor overwinters a bunch. Though, I don't know what variety. I want one of those pretty variegated ones that Just Fruits have.
Post a Comment