Sunday, August 15, 2010

More Power to the Soil

The NE existing (raised) garden bed; I've actually been working on that on and off for a year or so now.  Tossing oak leaves in; emptying garden pots; pulling weeds.  Pulling invasive's.  Nonetheless, it takes a bunch to improve Florida sand.  Off to the big box store I go.

Home again; with Black Kow Cow Manure, Peat Moss; Eucalyptus chips, Blood Meal and special microbes stuff.  And some seeds.  And a bush cucumber.  Spread the sand amendments out in the NE existing raised bed and the in-situ new bed around the rotted out laurel oak.  Placed a large plastic pot at the stump of the laurel oak for the cucumber.  Filled with good soil potting soil and some amendments.  Mixed it all up really good and watered.

NE Garden
Went back to the big box store and picked up the 2 Croton's I needed to center the planting box.  I just love croton's, they have such lovely colorful foliage.  Many of the croton's took a beating in the Feb freeze.  We have one in our back yard that is just now leafing out.  They are very slow growing; so I think they will work well with my mixed'em up front garden bed.  Some food for the soul and some food for the tummy.  Oh, and a garden plat of yellow marigolds.  Because, they look good with the crotons.  And they attract pollinators.

No comments: