Sunday, October 11, 2009

It all started with

Hubs and I had noticed this prolifically fruiting tree on our bike rides around the 'hood last fall.  Smallish trees, with apparently little to no special care just loaded in small orange colored fruit.  Mom-in-law said its a Calamondin.  Picked one, peeled and passed the little sections around.  Pucker pour yumm.  Nice and sour.  Not a sour orange, more sour like a lime.  Growing in shade.

Notice the trees around here?   Hmmmm.  So I started looking around for a baby Calamondin.  Picked a spot in our front yard, part sun.  More sun in the winter (thank you deciduous trees); will grow up to provide eye candy for visitors at our front door.  Planted Fall 2009 (October as I recall).

First fall in the ground; we actually had a few fruit.  Sour fruit spritzers; yum.  Then came the late, hard, long freeze of Feb 2010.  I was out of state; worried so about my baby tree.  She survived just fine.  Not so many fruit that spring; but loaded now for fall 2010.
Calamondin

No comments: