Thursday, September 6, 2012

School Gardens are for Everyone

Go now.  Do not delay, go and read this article.  It is just wonderful.  And best of all, pictures to illustrate.

School Gardens are for Everyone | Kidsgardening.org

Multi-tiered Raised Beds
Towards the bottom, the article links to an accessibility audit.  It's quite good, and I like how it incorporates students/kids into the questions and discussions.  Maybe if more of today's kids grow up thinking about universal design concepts they will age more gently than my generation will.

I remember the day our Master Gardener class went to tour our counties show case gardens.  Part of the goal of the presenters was to recruit newly minted master gardeners to adopt a part of the garden to maintain.  I listened to it all.  Then, of course I'm a bit catty, but I really did try to be nice.  I stuck my hand up and said:  "I can't volunteer to work here because the conditions are not safe for me.  The gardens are not accessible.  I will volunteer to do an accessibility study for you".  Now, keep in mind that I am talking to somebody who is a good 15+ years older than me.  He blew me off.  Not interested.  Ha-ha.  Give him another 10 years, a hard fall, or an unwanted accident and perhaps he will change his mind.

Vertical Teepee
I wish I could have found this school gardens are for everyone article before I started my first veggie garden.  I knew a few things from previous gardening experience along with learning to be a gimp.  But, well ... trial and error.  Gosh, has it really been almost a year since I wrote Empowering the Garden?  I continue to learn.  Lesson's learned this past year?  Even with access on both sides and vertical in the middle - 5' is one foot too wide.  Absolutely love, love the sitting ledges.  Going to be changing most of the beds in the front over to this in time.  With or without sitting ledges, need grab poles.  A small water garden is going in this fall/winter.  Probably 40 gallons.  Quick and easy access to a pitcher of water for some dry plants?  Win.  Frequently used garden tools (pruners, scissors, string & trowel) hanging out in the garden?  Win.  Double win for saving the knees and reducing precious time spent walking back and forth for tools.

Garden Seats
I like the questions in the accessibility audit.  If you have never stopped to think about how you would get around in your gardens if you suddenly found yourself non-ambulatory it is a great start. Lets add a few more important things:
  • Is there anything like branches overhanging the pathway?
  • Are there any loose or catty-wompas stepping stones?
  • Can you grab a watering can of water or pruners, scissors or string without leaving the garden?
  • Are grab poles available in key locations?
  • Is there someplace to sit out of the sun?
  • Is it quick and easy to reach into the garden for something?
  • Can you squish a lubber without face planting a bean plant?
  • Is a low maintenance weed control system in place?
  • Are there secure paths and footing to all regularly traveled areas?
Irrigation.  The more time marches on the more I realize the need for an automatic or even a semi-automatic watering system in the garden.  My big goal this winter is to get irrigation systems in the NE garden and the TRATEOFD garden.  A big time sink and energy drain dragging 200 feet of water hose around.

The more I see of planting tables designed for wheelchair users to roll under, the less impressed I am.  The accessibility garden in the Idea Garden at Leu Gardens in Orlando is underwhelming.  The planting tables were at chin height to me.  I think most chair users will find it easier to pull along side a garden.  Not to mention the plants are bound to be happier.

Love this photo of this young man.  He shows just how easy it can be to work in a garden from a chair.  And notice how he uses the vertical ledge as a leaning ledge?

Also, take note of the different heights of the raised be he is at and the raised bed behind him.


I just love the photos from this garden.  It is truly lovely and well thought out.  It would be wonderful if one of the public gardens around here would create such a demonstration accessible garden. 

Regardless of your ability or age, getting out and gardening is good for you. 



Getting out in a garden is good for everyone!

All gardens [should be] for everyone.

No comments: