Monday, November 14, 2011

Species Hibiscus

My neighbor and I, unbeknownst to each other; are growing annual species hibiscus.  Down here in Florida, these are fall blooming plants.  And, my gosh are they spectacular.

Pictured left is Hibiscus cannabis my neighbor is growing.  It is a huge, gangly plant that is just covered in these deep fuchsia blooms.

Today I saw Swamp Hibiscus growing in partial sun.  It was about a 4' or so tall plant with stunning red flowers.  I'm thinking it would be fun to grow in an inground tub.


Just a few feet from my neighboring fuchsia beauty is my False Roselle.  I planted it late spring and it has lolly gagged along all summer and suddenly shot up to 10 feet tall overnight it seems.  Then promptly leaned over.  Guess I should have pruned it in August or so.

The leaves are a dark greenish red, with red stems and these stunning veined pink flowers.



Florida Cranberry.  Notice the bee on the bloom?  I didn't see it until I was reviewing the photos.  Cool.

I started these from seed, and oh my the drama.  The final result is don't even try until the temps warm up.  I'm talking May'ish.


The Florida Cranberry plant itself is pretty stunning.  With its red stems, huge red calyx, and red veined green leaves.

This one is growing in a spot it really likes, but is overwhelming some perennials.  One of which is muhly grass, which really complements it.

Both Florida Cranberry and False Roselle are edible.  I really like using the new growth leaves in salads and chopped finely with roasted potatoes.  The leaves have a bit of citrusy-sorrely taste.

Florida Cranberry is best known for making Jamaican Roselle Tea.  Or commercially, Red Zinger Tea.  Last year was my first time growing Florida Cranberry and I didn't get enough to do much with.  This year ....  the skies the limit.

And harvest time is right around the corner.

Oh, and all of these Hibiscus root really easily.  Stem cutting, root tone, and damp soil for a few weeks and you've got a new plant going gangbusters.  These are all probably annuals in my area, they will die off in a light freeze.  I plan to have a few cuttings growing over in the garage to try to get a jump start next summer.  Skip the whole get the seed to germinate trip.

PS - these are all very pretty ornamental plants also!

No comments: