Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Yard long bean

Remember that one lonely "asparagus bean" I bought back in Aug?  Well, I planted it under a fully mature (translate tall and lanky) shrub by the electrical box in the NE garden.  So if it grew, it could climb the shrub.  It gets dappled sun.  East exposure.

Well, surprise to us; it's a happy thing.  Grows robustly; flowers; sets pea pods that aren't immediately eaten.  And, the peas are yummy.  Taste a bit like field peas.

Yard long bean

After we ate a few, I went back to Big Box Store to get more; they were out.  Of course, they still do not have onion sets; so I don't know if I trust their calendar.  After some research, I think these peas may be a keeper for a mid summer grower.  I can't imagine much edible growing here in the midst of hot humid summer.  So we are letting the remaining pods mature so I can save the seed.

Oh, and I quite like the idea of letting them grow up some of the mature full size not so interesting in summer bushes around here.  Like the unnamed thing out by the electrical box I'm keeping for beans to grow on; and to provide noon shade to tender yummies.  And, I can think of a few humongous azalea's that might make good bean supports.

No comments: